Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

Rem Action Cleaner alternatives

I need to clean the trigger group on a Rem 11-87. The manual says:
    THE TRIGGER PLATE ASSEMBLY:
    NOTE: Clean as a unit with Rem™ Action Cleaner only. (See NOTE on next page for LUBRICATION.)
    Spray the trigger plate assembly with Rem™ Action Cleaner as shown. See Picture 28. Wipe off any excess liquid. Allow to air dry for 2 minutes.
    WARNING: Excessive use of a non-recommended lubricant could cause serious function problems possibly leading to accidental firing

I don't have a spray can of Rem Action Cleaner. If my local gun store doesn't have a can to sell me, what are some alternate products that I could look for and use?

I am a Forum User
    Lighter fluid.

Marketplace Moderator
    I removed my trigger group from my 1100. I cleaned it out with a toothbrush and starting fluid. Then sprayed it with 100% silicone spray. LET IT DRY. Been doing this a long time and it works for me. Good Shooting, MOOSE

How about non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

Marketplace Moderator
    Brake cleaner and carb cleaner have a lot of additives that could ruin any plastic bushings and such. The newer trigger groups have a plastic housing. Might be okay on police shotguns or older shotguns. They are/were all metal at one time. This is why I use starting fluid.
    Good Shooting, MOOSE

Yea Moose, that's why I put it in the form of a question. I don't know what's in a 11-87.

I have used it on a 22-45 Ruger frame with no noticeable bad effect. I blow it dry with compressed air after then use something like CLP.

Marketplace Moderator
    Remington Rem Oil statements is a grab for money to keep it in the Remington family. I disagree with this practice.

Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    Remington Rem Oil statements is a grab for money to keep it in the Remington family. I disagree with this practice.
    Its not like it voids a warranty, the best is subjective they would not recommend another companies product they have no control over.

The rem product leaves no residue behind. Op should just order it up. Or go to his local store...i do not know what they have but get the most similar, and if everything leaves a oil coating do with out and order the rem stuff on the net.

Grab a can of naphtha from the paint aisle of Lowe's Depot

https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...2020-07-10.pdf
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Grab a can of naphtha from the paint aisle of Lowe's Depot

https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...2020-07-10.pdf

Pretty much the same thing as lighter fluid isn’t it?
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast