Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Pretty much the same thing as lighter fluid isn’t it?
    Yes Sir, for wick-type lighters. I think the cans of naphtha from the paint aisle are just larger containers and probably a bit more economical.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    Thank you all for your thoughts.
    I sprayed the 11-87 trigger group with some electrical contact cleaner that is labelled as being plastic safe, and cleaned up the bolt and slides.
    Had a chance to test fire the gun this afternoon and it operated as it should.
    If I can't find Rem Action Cleaner, I'll buy some lighter fluid or naptha for the next cleaning.

is gun scrubber an equivalent ?

I have an 870 as well and need to order up a new batch of cleaners, so if rem action cleaner is sold out, can I substitute gun scrubber ?

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...ag=googhydr-20

Gun Scrubber Cleaner cleans and evaporates fast
    With an occasional blast, gun Scrubber eliminates firearm jams while improving accuracy and reliability
    Excellent for automatics, bolts, lever and slide actions, as well as shotguns, air rifles, and muzzleloaders
    13oz net wt
    Professional Size Aerosol

found this, I don't remember it being 23 bucks in the past. https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Acc...ag=googhydr-20

MGO Member
    I got some Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Cleaner from Amazon, says polymer safe. Guys recommend using it to clean the inside of the Kel-tec Sub 2000, without having to split the receiver.

Remington Action cleaner is very similar to Gun Scrubber which is pretty much non chlorinated brake cleaner. All are basically a degreaser/cleaner that leave a dry oil free part which is why Remington suggests oiling after use. Lighter fluid cleans and cuts grease but leaves a slight oily film when it drys which gives som rust protection and lubrication.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Don't remember how long ago I did this, but I recall reading that Remington was changing the formula of their aerosol cleaner (due to govt. regs? on fluorocarbons ? )
    I immediately bought several cans I found locally on the shelf. This was @ least 13 or > yrs. ago..still have them, as I haven't used a semi-auto shotgun since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Remington Action cleaner is very similar to Gun Scrubber which is pretty much non chlorinated brake cleaner. All are basically a degreaser/cleaner that leave a dry oil free part which is why Remington suggests oiling after use. Lighter fluid cleans and cuts grease but leaves a slight oily film when it drys which gives som rust protection and lubrication.
    hmm Ill have to try the lighter fluid. I never used aersol lighter fluid.

Is the gun scrubber safe on a 870 with plastic trigger guard ?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post

It’s claimed to be.
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/produ...z-aerosol.html
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post

The guys are not talking about aerosol lighter fluid, like butane, the old liquid stuff in a can is what they are talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast