Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Browning 1885 270 caliber, high wall, built in 1985

I'm new to this forum, just purchased a 1885 Browning in 270 caliber, with mounted sharp and clear, period Redfield 4-12X40 scope, rifle was built in 1985, as per serial number, 0####PV247. This is a beautiful example, that looks brand new, but there are some questions I hope someone can answer. I bought from a local retired gunsmith that bought it new in 1985 and has not made any changes to the weapon, there are some "oddities" about this piece. The barrel is only 27" as opposed to the standard 28" and Browning is known for it's shiny 1885 furniture, this has a sweet satin finish. Do you think it snuck out of the factory this way or was special ordered?

Does anyone know how many 270 calibers were made under the Browning brand name during the 1985 to 2001 period, there seems to be little information about this caliber for this time period? I bought it for $1,000, any ideas, how much it's worth? Any information is welcome.
    Last edited by Dragon Master; 02-19-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Barrels are measured from breech to muzzle not frame to muzzle, did you take this in account when you check your length?
    $1000 for a 1885 is a good price if in good condition. They make a nice conversation piece on the range and are normally very accurate. I’ve a Winchester version of the same rifle in 223 I picked up new in the early/mid 90s and it’s still one of my favorite rifles
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray