Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Ruger Mini-14 Question

Hey, I have a question. Here's what I have. Two Ruger Mini-14. 1st is a 186-78XXX, with the side mount for a scope, all black with ''Ruger'', Mini-14, Cal .223. The 2nd is the Stainless Steel version, in the 188-84XXX series, with ''Ruger'', ''Ranch Rifle'', ''Cal .223'' stamped on the receiver. Isn't the 186 still considered to be the ''Ranch''. I mean it's just not stamped on the receiver. I'm guessing that the one in question, Ruger just didn't stamp Ranch on it. Whenever you buy a rifle used, unless you got a copy of the original receipt, you can expect things like this to get by. See I can't remember all that was talked about way-back-when.
    At first I wasn't sure if I'd like having the ''Side Mount'' for the scope but I certainly love the rifle. If you're aware of the information I'm wondering about, it was by cool.

Also, I have my eye of some magazines for sale ''New'' but they say for the 580 series. So they won't work right with my two series Mini's? I wanna say that they will but whose to say. Ruger may have changed something with the Mag-Well, or hot they click into place... With everyone out of Mag's or the asking pric seems to more match the cost of ammo, I'd certainly like to take advantage of the Mag's I found... Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danmax View Post
    Hey, I have a question. Here's what I have. Two Ruger Mini-14. 1st is a 186-78XXX, with the side mount for a scope, all black with ''Ruger'', Mini-14, Cal .223. The 2nd is the Stainless Steel version, in the 188-84XXX series, with ''Ruger'', ''Ranch Rifle'', ''Cal .223'' stamped on the receiver. Isn't the 186 still considered to be the ''Ranch''. I mean it's just not stamped on the receiver. I'm guessing that the one in question, Ruger just didn't stamp Ranch on it. Whenever you buy a rifle used, unless you got a copy of the original receipt, you can expect things like this to get by. See I can't remember all that was talked about way-back-when.
    At first I wasn't sure if I'd like having the ''Side Mount'' for the scope but I certainly love the rifle. If you're aware of the information I'm wondering about, it was by cool.

Also, I have my eye of some magazines for sale ''New'' but they say for the 580 series. So they won't work right with my two series Mini's? I wanna say that they will but whose to say. Ruger may have changed something with the Mag-Well, or hot they click into place... With everyone out of Mag's or the asking pric seems to more match the cost of ammo, I'd certainly like to take advantage of the Mag's I found... Thanks, Dan
    As far as I know, a Mini 14 mag, fits them all. Get factory mags!
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    A FYI.. the Mini 14 when first produced, wasn't a "Ranch Rifle".
    Ruger gave that title to the Mini 14 after they machined the receiver to accept their proprietary rings, so a scope can be mounted.
    Ruger is the only company that makes the rings that attach to the machined receiver , though you can purchase rings of different heights from Ruger.

I have a SS Mini 14 (pre- ranch rifle), bought before Ruger introduced the Ranch Rifle model.
    I Bought a B Square mount to attach a scope. No matter how tight I attached the mount, it would
    loosen during use -when rifle was fired. Years later I bought a Mini 30 Ranch rifle.. I like the way the rings attach to the receiver, no base needed.
    My ranch rifle rings have never loosened from firing. I rarely shoot either rifle as I have AR's in same calibers that I feel work much better.

The Ruger Mimi series come with terrible triggers.. very difficult to shoot a group due to long , heavy, coarse trigger pull.
    Had my gunsmith do some work on the Mini 30 trigger, & I was finally able to shoot a decent group with it.
    Still no way to mount a brass catcher on them.
    1 company makes ? made ? a brass catcher specifically for them, but it was always sold out everywhere I tried to buy one.
    I tried for several years to find one in stock to purchase.

Another "dislike " I have on the Mini series is their mags.. as long as they are Ruger brand mags, they work well..
    BUT, having to line up the hole in the front of the mag with the pin in the reliever,before rotating mag to the rear to lock it in, makes for awkward mag changes.
    I found myself fumbling to do mag changes, while sitting @ the bench as I swapped mags.
    This was another reason I prefer the AR format.

I tried a couple of accessory brand mags for my 223 Mini 14 & discovered they were a waste of money, didn't work well @ all. YMMV.
    Last edited by joepistol; 02-23-2021 at 08:19 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danmax View Post

@joepistol already answered your first question about the mini 14. As for the "580" series mags they are the same. When you hear someone talk about a 580 series Mini 14 they are mainly talking about the change that Ruger made to the barrels. The 580 series has a barrel that increases in diameter near the receiver. The change was made to reduce barrel whip for better accuracy and they are indeed more accurate than the older models, 2 MOA vs 4 MOA. That's right, 4 MOA is acceptable accuracy according to Ruger for an older mini 14. They won't rebarrel them until they are shooting over 4 MOA consistently. There have been other minor incremental changes (rear sights, ejector) along the way over the years but nothing has changed in the magwell and the 580 series mags will work just fine in an older gun. Just as the others have suggested through, make sure you use genuine Ruger mags and practice your mag changes as it's a slightly different procedure than most and you can't just slap them in from the bottom like you can in say an AR.

That 186 serial number should put it as manufactured in the early to mid eighties if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that though. I've handled quite a few mini 14's and they are a decent and reliable gun as long as you keep them clean. Let them go for too many rounds though without cleaning and you'll end up with extraction problems.

Good luck and go shoot those things and have some fun.

To the best of my knowledge, Mini-14's are good with either .223 or 5.56, except the Mini-14's marked "Target." The Target models should only use .223 ammo.

And, as stated above, use Ruger factor mags for the best results. Although, I did recently read a positive review about Tapco mags, which are significantly less expensive. There is (or was, I haven't checked lately) a member selling used Ruger 30-round mags in the Marketplace, but priced them as new (new mags are $50, or roughly 55 rounds of ammo).

This is certainly a fun rifle, unless you find yourself on the right side of the shooter. In that case, brass will be raining down on your head.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post

This is certainly a fun rifle, unless you find yourself on the right side of the shooter. In that case, brass will be raining down on your head.
    The ones with the newer style ejector are absolutely crazy. It's amazing how far and fast they throw the brass.

I am a Forum User
    RUGER mags are definitely the best to use!! The ONLY other non RUGER mag I have run that works quite well is Masen mags (John T. Masen).

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    I wish you the best of luck with your Mini-14...my 182 series Mini 14 is one of the guns in my collection that I love to hate. Mine is marked .223 on the receiver and absolutely hates steel cased ammo, reliability is dismal using steel cased ammo, or non-factory magazines. I have a Choate E2 stock, which I like, and the controls are very left handed friendly...but, unfortunately, is so unreliable, I would never grab it in a SHTF situation.
    Stick to brass cased ammo and factory magazines and you'll probably be OK.