Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

Red Dot For Rimfire Precision Bullseye

I have been shooting Rimfire precision bullseye for a couple of months now using my MK IV with a RMR red dot. Most others are using the tube style red dots. I think all of the top guy’s use the tube style sight. So, I started doing a little research online and haven’t found any definitive answers. I was looking at an Ultra-Dot Match II and reading some reviews and it sounds like a top pick for many people.
    For you experienced in this discipline, can you give me the upside and downside to the tube vs reflex sight? I hope to be able to shoot someone’s with the tube sight, but I can only make the last line do to work and many are already gone. TIA

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tondriver View Post
    I have been shooting Rimfire precision bullseye for a couple of months now using my MK IV with a RMR red dot. Most others are using the tube style red dots. I think all of the top guy’s use the tube style sight. So, I started doing a little research online and haven’t found any definitive answers. I was looking at an Ultra-Dot Match II and reading some reviews and it sounds like a top pick for many people.
    For you experienced in this discipline, can you give me the upside and downside to the tube vs reflex sight? I hope to be able to shoot someone’s with the tube sight, but I can only make the last line do to work and many are already gone. TIA

Hey one ton:

There is a wealth of information on red dots over on the Bullseye-l forum and also on the Target Talk forum.

Personally, I have considerable experience with red dots, seeing how I run a Bullseye Precision Pistol team and am fortunate enough to assist a handful of new shooters into the sport every year.

Tube vs Reflex sights:

In general, the advantages of both are as follows:

Tube style allows you to use the frame of the sight to get the dot on the bull quicker. Very important for a up and coming shooter.
    Tube style has better adjustments and repeatable adjustments for zeroing your dot. Most reflex sights have a lot of slop and have friction type adjustments as opposed to the click adjustments found on most tube style dots.
    The reflex dots usually have a more "pure" dot, whereas those of us that have been shooting a while our eyeballs are not as functional as the younguns. Best way I can describe this is that a reflex sight only has one lens to screw up the roundness of the dot whereas a tube has three lenses to flair or star the dot.
    If you are switching between the 50 yard line and the 25 yard line, you should go with a tube style dot because the adjustments needed are repeatable. Almost impossible to adjust a reflex repeatedly for the difference in impacts when shooting a "regulation" course.
    Tube style dots are more heavier right where you do not want extra weight on the gun. Some tube style dots change the weight and balance such that some shooters shoot better with a lesser quality but lighter weight dot.

I will continue in the next post
    Last edited by crankythunder; 02-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tondriver View Post

Hey one ton:

There is a wealth of information on red dots over on the Bullseye-l forum and also on the Target Talk forum.

Personally, I have considerable experience with red dots, seeing how I run a Bullseye Precision Pistol team and am fortunate enough to assist a handful of new shooters into the sport every year.

Tube vs Reflex sights:

In general, the advantages of both are as follows:

Tube style allows you to use the frame of the sight to get the dot on the bull quicker. Very important for a up and coming shooter.
    Tube style has better adjustments and repeatable adjustments for zeroing your dot. Most reflex sights have a lot of slop and have friction type adjustments as opposed to the click adjustments found on most tube style dots.
    The reflex dots usually have a more "pure" dot, whereas those of us that have been shooting a while our eyeballs are not as functional as the younguns. Best way I can describe this is that a reflex sight only has one lens to screw up the roundness of the dot whereas a reflex only has one lens.
    If you are switching between the 50 yard line and the 25 yard line, you should go with a tube style dot because the adjustments needed are repeatable. Almost impossible to adjust a reflex repeatedly for the difference in impacts when shooting a "regulation" course.
    Tube style dots are more heavier right where you do not want extra weight on the gun. Some tube style dots change the weight and balance such that some shooters shoot better with a lesser quality but lighter weight dot.

I will continue in the next post

I am a Forum User
    There are not many sub $100 dollar red dots that will cut the mustard on the bullseye line, well, let me clarify that, if there are any, I have not found them. I have assisted too many newbies with $35 dollar Chinese pieces of crud that I have a couple spare red dots to loan until they find the red dot that they like. As a matter of fact, I have a couple SW model 41's with a number of barrels with different red dots for newbies to try to find the red dot that they like.

With that being said, I will comment on the various red dots in the next post

MGO Member
    I once used a reflex sight, but now I use an Ultra Dot Match II for bullseye on a S&W Model 41. I highly recommend that optic.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    Various red dots:

Aimpoint: This is the gold standard. the red dot endorsed by Brian Zins. Top of the line is either the 9000sc model or the H-1 or H-2 model which are all discontinued. Pistol shooters are not aimpoints primary market. anyways they are all tube style dots and the 9000sc is considered the best for repeatability and dot purity but it is heavy. The H-1 and H-2 are considered almost as good although I own a 9000sc and H-1 and consider them equal in quality with the edge going to the H-1 due to the lighter weight. Prices are over $500.00 on ebay right now. Most of the earlier aimpoints are very good but non of the discontinued models are supported by the manufacturer any more, have a problem you will get a choice of current models which are not applicable to bullseye.

I am a Forum User
    Primary arms red dot:

Rather unknown company outside the bullseye world but they make a high quality red dot tube sight with excellent repeatability and positive and repeatable zero adjustments. The negatives are that the frame is thick and interferes with the sight picture and they are a bit heavy compaired to the competition.

Ultra dots:

these red dots are the previous king of the hill and are probably the most popular red dot on the bullseye line. Recent models suffer from a slight negative magnification which drives some people nuts, others do not notice the difference. Personally, the negative magnification is annoying which caused me to liquidate almost all my ultra dots. the earlier models did not exhibit this tendency. The ultra dot match dot red dot gives you a variety of red dot MOA's while the original match dot red dot sight is a nice 4 MOA dot.

I am a Forum User
    Sig Sauer red dots:

Sig sauer offers a number of red dots applicable to the bullseye shooter, The Romeo 5 being very good to excellent. the discontinued Romeo 4 is very good as well but these sights use a pushbutton brightness control which requires a specified procedure to turn them off at the end of a match. Unfortunately, you can extinguish the dot while trying to adjust the brightness between strings which is one of the detractions from the sig sauer red dots. Operator familiarity would prevent this but I have experienced this in a match and as such, am reluctant to adjust the brightness of a dot during a match.

Of special note, Sig Sauer used to have a model STS-081 which is a red dot and has a rotary adjustment. Not only that, the adjustment dial is on the left which makes it user friendly to a right handed shooter on the competition line. I own a STS 081 and think it is one of the best red dots available for the bullseye shooter. They are sometimes available on ebay.

I am a Forum User
    Holosun:
    Very good red dots, a lot of holosuns are rebranded as other models. Not sure if they still offer a rotary dial model but that one is a keeper. Rotary dial is on the right which is not as ergonomic as the Sig Sauer but very good. Holosun offers a number of reticles but does not offer a 4 MOA or 6 MOA dot which most bullseye shooters prefer. (that might have changed recently). I have one on my Feinwerkbau AW 093 primarily because its architecture allows me to remove the slide/bolt without removing the red dot and clean it properly. I do not think that the Feinwerkbau is underscoped with the Holosun. I would consider the Holosun one of the top red dots out there even though most of them, if not all, are pushbutton operated.
    Last edited by crankythunder; 02-20-2021 at 05:57 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Dot size:

Most bullseye shooters use either a 4 MOA dot or a 2 MOA dot with 4 moa having a slight edge in popularity. Frankly, there are a lot of 4 MOA dots out there that look just as small as a 2 MOA dot with the only difference being the labeling on the side of the scope. From my perspective, most shooters do better with a larger dot whereas the smaller dot invokes the dreaded "chicken finger" where you are looking for the perfect sight picture and hold too long and get the shakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast