Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dootler View Post
    Hey there, I'm in the midst of house hunting various counties within an hour or so of Grand Rapids. One of the things I'm hoping to figure out is which counties are more gun friendly; especially pertaining to the ability/restrictions to build a little shooting range on my own property or dispatch critters messing with my chickens.

I've been aiming at 5 acres as a baseline for what I'm looking for if that factors into any relevant laws. I've seen similar threads (it's how I found this website actually!) asking about firearm discharge on your own property; I've looked through the state's firearm manual/laws; and it seems that the main thing to watch out for is the 150 yards dwelling law and county ordinances and then to make sure to avoid the negligent discharge laws (which I'm hoping can be done by building a proper backstop and working with the county or something.) Michigan is a "home rule" State. Townships have more authority than the County. You will want to look at the ordinances to see what is a "permitted use" within the Zoning of the township you are looking at locating to. Pay attention to that regarding your chickens also.

My hope is to get an idea of if any of you varmint hunt on your property, target shoot on your property, and/or what you've done to stay this side of the law so that I can factor that into said house-hunting.I have over 200 acres out my back door that I farm.(I have land in other location, too) I don't use a rifle to dispatch woodchuck's anymore in the soybeans or hay fields. Most of my target shooting is done at a range. You're probably wondering why? Well, in my 65+ years here, the neighborhood has turned over. I don't feel comfortable enough shooting at distance like I did years ago when less houses were around us. For critter dispatch it is either shotgun or gas bombs in their den. I think one other point to consider is this, all who locate outside the city don't share our enthusiasm of being able to do on our property's as we like. Keep in mind who your neighbor's will be when your looking at a place to relocate.

Many thanks!
    Best of luck in your quest.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks again to all in the thread; very helpful to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dootler View Post
    Thanks again to all in the thread; very helpful to hear.
    BTW, I am a Portland, OR native. I love W MI

Grand Rapids is just likle Portland was 30 years ago. Very nice place.

I am a Forum User
    Hope you like snow! You get more by the lake side where you are looking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12