Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Federal Gun Control Bills. H.R. 8 & H.R. 1446

The push for gun control has again started. Bills H.R. 8 & H.R. 1446 were both introduced to the House or Representatives on March 1st 2021.
    This is an important notice to everyone to contact you're representatives to let then know that we don't support these. I can't post links yet, so if anyone else would kindly like to add a link to these bills.

H.R. 8 Provided Summary "To require a background check for every firearm sale."
    H.R. 1446 Provided Summary "To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to strengthen the background check procedures to be followed before a Federal firearms licensee may transfer a firearm to a person who is not such a licensee." A very opaque bill. To my knowledge this will change the max waiting period for the back ground check to go through from 3 days to 10 days, will shift the burden of proof from the government to the citizen? See links in MTK's post below for better specifics.

At posting, HR 8 has 83 cosponsors and HR 1446 has 81 cosponsors. I believe equivalent bills to these have been passed by the house in the past, so it is likely that they will pass the house. I believe others have said that the bills will be voted on soon, maybe in a few weeks?
    Last edited by MI42A; 03-03-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updating, better wording.

MGO Member
    HR 8
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=2

HR 1446
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=3

NRA article
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2021...-control-bills

The article says the max waiting period for the background check would become indefinite (as opposed to 3 days), allowing bureaucratic delays to block a legal purchaser from taking possession indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by MTK View Post
    HR 8
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=2

HR 1446
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=3

NRA article
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2021...-control-bills

The article says the max waiting period for the background check would become indefinite (as opposed to 3 days), allowing bureaucratic delays to block a legal purchaser from taking possession indefinitely.
    Basically allowing FBI NICS to never report, or delying the sale. Dening your rights.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Judging from this weekend, nothing we can do about it.

I will admit, I've NEVER seen the Republicans this united.

Few RINO's do not help. So, when a Government becomes tyrannical...
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Judging from this weekend, nothing we can do about it.

I will admit, I've NEVER seen the Republicans this united.
    Let's hope they stay united. However, our own Fred Upton is a cosponsor for HR8.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Diver View Post
    Let's hope they stay united. However, our own Fred Upton is a cosponsor for HR8.
    That doesn't suprise me one bit Looking at Fred Upton web page. https://upton.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=8545
    "Gun violence

When it comes to the Second Amendment, gun control, and gun-related violence, we need commonsense solutions now more than ever.

I support comprehensive background checks. In fact, I was one of only 56 Republicans to support the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act which established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). NICS bars felons, illegal immigrants, spousal abusers, and the mentally ill from buying or owning firearms. But clearly much work must be done to strengthen and improve this system and I support further improvements to NICS. "

"In 2019, I was one of eight Republicans to support H.R. 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act which would require that every firearm sale include a background check with exemptions for family and hunting transfers. I also support federal Red Flag legislation, which would incentivize states to adopt commonsense ‘Red Flag’ laws – with stringent due process and probable cause – to prevent those in imminent danger to themselves or others to have firearms.”

I am a Forum User
    Well, I hope everyone contacted their congress person already.
    It appears that HR8 and HR 1446 may be coming up for a vote today.

Given that it is anticipated that both bills will pass in the house, the main chance to stop it will be in the senate. I think the real action required to stop it will either be filibustering it (and keeping support for the filibuster) or if that fails pressuring our Michigan senators to not support the bill. Since both Michigan senators are Democrats, I believe this would be extremely difficult, but if we get a lot of people to annoy them it might be possible.

I wonder how possible it would be to get a large enough number of people in a sort of political action type group so that whenever we have one of theses bills we can mobilize people to contact their representatives with thousands of emails, calls, and in-person visits?

I am a Forum User
    Relax, Gents. There's no way that chick from Arizona is going to vote for this in the Senate. I'm sure there are some other Senators on the fence. If Stabenow had any sense, she'd vote against it too. Peters almost lost to a vanity candidate, the writing is on the wall.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUSpartan99 View Post
    Relax, Gents. There's no way that chick from Arizona is going to vote for this in the Senate. I'm sure there are some other Senators on the fence. If Stabenow had any sense, she'd vote against it too. Peters almost lost to a vanity candidate, the writing is on the wall.
    Don't get cocky.
    Who would have thought Biden could get elected?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast