Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap (Stainless)

Had wondered about this product for several years, had been thinking about trying it on one of my 1911's..finally bought one, it arrived today, so decided to put it on .
    May not look as nice as a skilled gunsmith checkering job, but cost only 10%, (or less than that) of having it done.

here's a link to this Wilson Combat product : https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Checker...ductinfo/100S/
    interesting to note, on the Wlison Combat website, all responders rated it 5 stars. (!)

My rating wouldn't be so high... here's why.. it didn't fit my 1911. Well it didn't fit the first one I tried to install it on.
    Since having a 40 S&W barrel fitted to my Colt Delta Elite, I've been shooting it a lot more.

Decided to put the Wilson front strap on my Delta frame..& discovered.. it didn't fit.

Tried several times... the metal stamping isn't wide enough to go around the front strap & tuck under the handgrips, as they're supposed to be installed.
    My Delta is currently wearing a pair of VZ Recons Magwell Full Size Gun Grips. This is a pair of very aggressive textured, G-10 grips.
    I didn't look for my oem grips..as comparing this pistols frame, to another 1911 I have ( a GI spec Springfield Armory 1911)
    I noticed the Colt frame is "thicker" / wider, just beneath the trigger guard, the area just below where the mag release button/screw is located.

I compared this to a couple other Colt 1911's in my safe. The Combat Commander, though having a full size frame, has the area beneath the trigger guard, machined more concavely.
    Quite a difference in appearance. Not as much metal beneath the trigger guard as on the Delta. The other Colt, a 70 Series Govt model,
    does not have the same thicker / wider area beneath the trigger guard. It's a much older pistol than the Delta & It's front strap has already been professionally checkered

The Springfield Armory 1911 is wearing a copy of VZ grips, bought off Amazon, called "E Gun Grips H1-J4-11 G10 Tactical Aggressive Texture Pistol Grips for Full Size 1911 Handguns, Dark Ops "
    the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front strap fit around the Springfield's frame just fine & the grips seem to be holding it firmly in place. Looks & fits well on this 1911.
    Will give an update on how it works after it's had some rounds fired.

My "Caveat emptor " is.. this might be a great bargain for those who want to improve their front strap grip, without the high cost of a gunsmith checkering job..
    IF it fits your pistol...

I was a bit surprised to learn it wouldn't fit on my Delta.. & wonder if the Delta has a bit "beefier" frame, than other 1911's made for less powerful calibers.
    Last edited by joepistol; 03-04-2021 at 05:37 PM.

I am a Forum User
    on my uncheckered 1911s I use a piece of grip tape and wrap it from grip to grip.. I buy them by the sheets 8.5x11 to put them on my polymer frames handguns, and on the front strap of smooth uncheckered 1911. I like the rubber based ones. But one can use the sandpaper textured ones if preferred.. I find that the rubbery grip tape does give me more grip.. You can try it.

Last edited by JimSig; 03-04-2021 at 09:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I did use some skateboard tape ( ? ).. a sort of adhesive-backed sandpaper, & applied it to some smooth wood 1911 grips I had in my spare parts stash.
    Think they were from a RIA 1911 I bought & changed the stocks. Traced the grips on to the paper (covering the adhesive) cut out the outline with scissors, removed the paper & stuck them on the grips.
    Came out very well. Easy tio hold, non slip surface that's not too tough on your hand.
    Have to see if I can find the rest of that sheet, & I'll give your method a try.
    Thanks for the idea, JimSig.

I am a Forum User

I am a Forum User
    Well, I've put a few hundred rds. thru my Springfield 1911 since adding the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap.. &
    I have to report..it works great. Hasn't moved @ all & I was shooting some rather warm 45 loads w/ 230 gr & 185 gr bullets.
    The checkered frontstrap does add some needed texture to the area, & the SS piece looks good on my hard-chrome finished frame.
    Decided to order another Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap, this one in black, for my blued STI 1911.

I am a Forum User
    well, disappointing to report that the blued Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap doesn't fit the STI frame very well.
    With a lot of trial attempts to get it to fit beneath the factory STI grips, & some massaging of the thin metal,
    I did get it under the edges of both grips, but it doesn't want to stay in place, edge pulls out 1 side of the grips.Will have to
    try using it on another pistol, or use some contact glue / silicone sealer, something to get it to stay in place.
    Not enough metal to go far enough under the grips & hold it in place.

Conclusion..if you want to try the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap on your 1911,
    save the packaging,& reciept, as you might have to return it.