Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

ISO Red Dot Advice/Opinion for Gen 5 Glock 34

Gen 5 Glock 34 owner and am new to the red dot market and finding out I
    do not know enough on the topic to make an informed selection at this time.

I am interested in faster/more accurate acquisition and eventual competition.
    Questions I am looking to get advice/opinions on but no limited to are:

1. Most common/preferred MOA size/color and why?
    2. Make/model most popular and why?
    3. If bottom load battery, will it lose zero when changing?
    4. How many rounds should zero last for approx.?
    5. Any other input/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    My Vortex Venom 6MOA. It’s the premium in its class

MGO Member
    I also have a Vortex Venom, and it seems to be a good device.

BUT, it is virtually useless to me because of my strong astigmatism. I did not do enough research before I bought it (Black Friday sale). If you have any astigmatism in your vision at all I would highly recommend that you try whatever one you are planning to buy (with your shooting glasses) to make sure you are happy with the results. If I am wearing my regular glasses (no-line bifocals) I can see the dot OK when looking through the top distance portion of the lens, but when using my single vision safety glasses I just get a constellation of dots in the window.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged1 View Post
    I also have a Vortex Venom, and it seems to be a good device.

BUT, it is virtually useless to me because of my strong astigmatism. I did not do enough research before I bought it (Black Friday sale). If you have any astigmatism in your vision at all I would highly recommend that you try whatever one you are planning to buy (with your shooting glasses) to make sure you are happy with the results. If I am wearing my regular glasses (no-line bifocals) I can see the dot OK when looking through the top distance portion of the lens, but when using my single vision safety glasses I just get a constellation of dots in the window.
    Yeah, you need something with an etched reticle. I'm not sure if any pistol red dots have one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    Yeah, you need something with an etched reticle. I'm not sure if any pistol red dots have one yet.
    I haven't seen one yet. Shooting with one is different. You have to retrain how to shoot once using one. RMR view red dot.jpg

https://ateiguns.com/ < This company can setup your 34. Best in the business, local to Michigan and MGO.

I'm also running a Vortex, but a 3 MOA on my AR pistol. 20181224_215910.jpg
    Last edited by XDM 40 cal; 03-07-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Add info
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

RMR06 on my G40MOS, dot size is just right for hunting precision, don't like the bigger MOA ones. It was a first gen that took two trips back to Trijicon for losing zero till they just kept it and sent me a Gen 2 with the more robust "spring cups", holds zero perfectly now even with spicy near 800ft/lb loads.
    KKM 6.6" 10gr 800X, 180gr XTP @1420fps. Trij xtra tall suppressor sights.

Holosun HS507C on my G17 has been reliable since day one, little finer dot than the RMR but still easy to acquire shot-to-shot.
    Battlewerks did the cut and added AmeriGlo supp sights. AlphaWolf supp bbl.

Neither has needed a battery change so can't answer that part.

If your goal is short distance paper/steel games you will want larger MOA than what I have. Since optics will put you in open class bigger dot and effective brakes kind of go together.

Zero either lasts or it doesn't. Both are right on now with their intended loads. Hot 180gr JHP hunting load for the G40 and 124+P Golden Sabers carry load for the G17. I load 180gr TMJ practice loads for the G40 and 124gr FMJ for the G17.

Color on both of mine is red, it works fine.
    I do prefer green on other Trijicon optics, have two rifles set up with TR24G's. Also numerous others with various Aimpoints, SIG Romeo5 and MSR red dots
    Supposedly the human eye picks up green better. YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Trijicon RMR06 3.25 moa is pretty much the gold standard.

I am a Forum User
    I'm a fan of my RMR, I like the new option they have that is a little smaller. I had a Vortex Venom, the RMR is much better.

RMR or Holosun

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DLL9MM View Post
    RMR or Holosun
    This. For reliability. Heard too many failures with other brands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast