Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Barrel length / 1:12 twist / bullet grains

I've researched this topic all across the internet but haven't arrived at a conclusive answer.

I got a Rem 700 in .308 with a 26" varmint barrel, 1:12 twist from a friend. It's weighty with that beefy 26" varmint barrel. Am thinking to shorten it to 16.5" or 18" to make it more portable. I only hunt Michigan whitetails and punch paper, no big game or long-range shooting (past 250/300 yds) so no big deal, with bullets under 168 grains.

If I shortened it to 18 or 16.5 inches, would I be limited to even lighter bullets, say 147 or 150 grains for stability? Or still OK to shoot 168 grainers even from 16.5" barrel?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

You should be good to go with bullets of std design up to 200 hrs as the 308 was designed to shoot
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I would go with 18 " Then your fine up to 180 Grn.

How are you going to do the crown on the barrel?

MGO Member
    This is what I ended up doing - 18.5". It was done by a very good gunsmith. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but looking forward to the experience.

I am a Forum User
    good move. I like what you did !

I am a Forum User
    Shortening the barrel doesn't affect bullet stability until you perhaps get to a point to where you're cutting your barrel very short (IE 300 blk guns with 6-7" barrels). 1:12 should handle up to 175 gr bullets, maybe a little heavier depending on bullet shape/composition.