Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4498 of 2021 - Modify fee for renewal of concealed pistol license

HB 4498 of 2021
    Weapons: licensing; fee for renewal of concealed pistol license; modify. Amends sec. 5l of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425l).
    Last Action: 3/16/2021 bill electronically reproduced 03/11/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

This one actually makes sense. No way does it cost $115 dollars to renew the license. Most everything is done by you and the computer.

And before anyone says anything about the big block of law being struck out, it is about military renewing by mail. That is no longer needed, they can do it online just as anyone else can.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill would reduce the cost of a CPL RENEWAL from $115 down to $30 and ALL of that $30 would go to the County Treasurer.

The State (MSP) would get nothing, yet still have to pay the FBI for their part in the background check process.

As it currently stands, the MSP do the greater majority of CPL processing, both with County Clerk accepted applications, or via online/mail-in renewals. This obviously comes at a cost to the MSP to have sufficient staffing to handle the processing workload. If this bill were to become law, MSP would have reasonable excuse to take months/years to process renewals.

In MY opinion (I am speaking on MY behalf with this entire post, NOT as "President of MGO")…
    This bill is going the wrong way. What we should be seeking is to ELIMINATE the County Clerk's from the entire process.

The first step in the RIGHT direction was to eliminate County Gun Boards AND the County Sheriffs in the CPL process. Background checks and approval process went fully to the MSP and timelines and equal application of rules went from a county by county basis to a single basis, statewide.

The next NEEDED step is to ELIMINATE the County Clerks from the process, NOT 100% fund THEM and exclude the MSP who are doing the heavy lifting in the processing.

Let's see a bill that ELIMINATES the local County Clerks and allows renewal AND NEW applicants to apply via any local MSP post, online or via USPS mail, as appropriate for new and/or renewals. Only THEN will we have a uniform process across the state, as prescribed by PA 381 of 2000 that reads, in part:

Sec. 1a. It is the intent of the legislature to create a standardized system for issuing concealed pistol licenses to prevent criminals and other violent individuals from obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol, to allow law abiding residents to obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol, and to prescribe the rights and responsibilities of individuals who have obtained a license to carry a concealed pistol. It is also the intent of the legislature to grant an applicant the right to know why his or her application for a concealed pistol license is denied and to create a process by which an applicant may appeal that denial.
    Until the 83 County Clerks are removed from this process, there will be no "standardized system", rather, each county will vary based on the bias of each County Clerk.

I understand and "get" that the MSP is currently receiving too much of the $100/$115 new/renewal fees, as exposed by our friends at Michigan Open Carry (MOC). However, the MSP truly does do the lion's share of the CPL processing now and the County Clerk's involvement could easily be removed vs allocating 100% of the funding to them and leaving the MSP with $0 for their work involved.

Again, this is MY opinion (I am speaking on MY behalf with this entire post, NOT as "President of MGO")…
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I have to agree about the bill going the wrong way, it's been the counties with their boards and extra rules long time frames etc. My first CPL ( Wayne County) when shall issue passed took almost a year and some renewal years weren't much better.

MGO Member
    I agree that that CPLs should be taken out of the hands of the counties.

CPLs should and could be done by the SOS. It could be a $5 endorsement on your DL. And yes I know some people are against it being on your DL but it would be nice to have that option.
    Last edited by Garymac; 03-16-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

It shouldn't cost any more for a CPL than it does to vote.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    I agree that that CPLs should be taken out of the hands of the counties.

CPLs should and could be done by the SOS. It could be a $5 endorsement on your DL. And yes I know some people are against it being on your DL but it would be nice to have that option.
    The less agencies involved with the CPL process, the better. I can see Benson purposely slowing the CPL process if it involved the SoS. Also, many have objected to a CPL endorsement on your DL since every time you show your DL for ID, you are also showing that you have a CPL.

I see no reason that the MSP cannot handle the entire process. Would it bring more workload on them? Sure! But in the event the County Clerks were removed from the process, MSP would get all of the application fees and could bring on additional workers, as needed. As long as we could go to any MSP post within the State to apply (and renewals continue to be allowed by mail or online), I see that as a win/win for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    I see no reason that the MSP cannot handle the entire process. Would it bring more workload on them? Sure! But in the event the County Clerks were removed from the process, MSP would get all of the application fees and could bring on additional workers, as needed. As long as we could go to any MSP post within the State to apply (and renewals continue to be allowed by mail or online), I see that as a win/win for everyone involved.
    Sure, there are 30 posts you could go to, just pick one and saddle up.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Sure, there are 30 posts you could go to, just pick one and saddle up.
    And my nearest MSP Post is in the SAME city as the County Clerk is now in. No difference in driving!
    MI_XD
    SW Michigan
    ----Hey Joe and A Camal----Oh, and now Stretchy Gretchey
    ---- What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" do you not Understand?"
    -----

I am a Forum User
    Better solution would be to eliminate CPL's altogether.

Use the 2nd amendment as your license.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast