Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil springs

Recoil springs

Ok people a quick question for you. I want to replace the recoil spring in one of my 1911s and due to being a sissy that shoots light reloads through most everything I own other then my carry gun I want a stock 16# or or maybe a pound or two lighter max to keep things running smooth. The problem is I’m having trouble finding one. The various online stores I’ve tried are out, although I’ve found a 15# at a local shop it is a “variable power” spring.
    My question is not whether or not it will work, but just what exactly does a variable weight spring do? Does it change the “feel” of the cycling? Explain it to me like I’m truly dumb as a stump about this which I am.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    so if you go back to highschool physics and plot the spring force versus the compressed distance of the spring you get the spring constant k. Such the F = k. x
    that is x being the compressed distance, F is the spring force and k is the spring constant. So if you compress the spring say by 5 inches, the compression force would be equal to K (a constant) multiplied by the displacement of the spring [of course you have to be consistent with the units]. If you compress the spring more the force will increase in a linear trend following a straight line. So for a regular spring the force is linearly proportional to the amount the spring compresses.

Now a variable spring is where the spring constan "k" is not a constant anymore and it takes different values as the spring compresses and activates different coiling zones.. This could be achieved by: 1) either having a variable coiling ratio across the spring length, or 2) having a variable wire diameter across the spring length, or 3) a combination of both variable diameter of wire and variable coiling ratio.

The benefit of this system is that as the slide starts moving backward upon firing a shot it will meet less resistance from the recoil spring facilitating the activation of the spring by milder loads, however as the slide keeps moving backward, it will face an increased rate of spring force as compared to a linear spring, this will prompt the slide to stop faster within a short distance and helps manage the recoil feel or impulse.

I hope the attached illustration sketch explains it better..IMG_0146.jpg

I am a Forum User
    I was going to offer an explanation, but on 2nd thought, just say "yeah, that"
    to JimSig's post...

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    so if you go back to highschool physics and plot the spring force ....
    Nice explanation. �� It reminds me that I failed high school physics ��

Knew someone would have an answer, that picture explains it all.

So is the weight value at the 1st or 2nd half of the spring travel? Should I expect short slide strokes with lighter loads to be more frequent then with a regular spring of the same weight?
    Last edited by Ol` Joe; 03-20-2021 at 06:50 AM.

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    So would this be the same as what we call in the automotive world a progressive rate spring, and the windings are wound tighter (closer together) at one end?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/701...CABEgJ3afD_BwE
    Last edited by gman; 03-20-2021 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added link

I am a Forum User
    " So would this be the same as what we call in the automotive world a progressive rate spring? "

That's my thought.
    I thought the same comparison, a progressively wound m/c fork or shock spring,.. the compression rate stiffens as the spring travel gets closer to a point of coil bind.
    As I remember, usually 2 weight are used to describe a suspension progressive spring rate, the 1st number, the weight that starts to compress the spring
    & the 2nd number relating to the stiffer rate toward the end of spring travel. Maybe # of lbs/inch of travel ?
    I doubt pistol springs get that specific or detailed, usually just 1 weight is given.
    Then again , I could be wrong..as my wife often suggests.
    Last edited by joepistol; 03-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitommy View Post
    Nice explanation. �� It reminds me that I failed high school physics ��
    Yeah that!
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    gman: yes it is exactly the same concept as for automotive springs that you showed.

JoePistol: good points on the explanation

To tie everything together for Ol'Joe, I put this sketch to show the variable recoil spring contribution through different stages of the slide travel. Hope this helps.. And excuse my poor drawing capabilities.

IMG_0152.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    gman: yes it is exactly the same concept as for automotive springs that you showed.

JoePistol: good points on the explanation

To tie everything together for Ol'Joe, I put this sketch to show the variable recoil spring contribution through different stages of the slide travel. Hope this helps.. And excuse my poor drawing capabilities.

IMG_0152.jpg
    Jim thank you for your time ands yes, very descriptive drawings. I think I’ve got a good idea of how they work now.
    I knew they were std equipment in some striker fired guns but never paid much attention to them otherwise. It kind of surprised me when I was offered one and although I trusted the smiths assurance it would work he didn’t go into any explanations past it should work with light loads and here’s a 13# if you want lighter.
    He was busy and I didn’t want to waste his time further then I had.
    Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast