Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Is the Keltec CMR-30 a pistol or rifle in Michigan?

I recently purchased a Keltec CMR-30 to pair with a PMR-30 I bought over five years ago. I have seen one LGS website (Outdoor Dearborn) state that the CMR-30 is a classified as a pistol in Michigan. The firearm is under 23 inches when the stock is collapsed and almost 30 inches when the stock is fully expanded. It was sold to me as a rifle from another local LGS. Anybody have an idea how it should be classified? I wouldn't mind it being classified as a pistol since I could conceal it loaded in my vehicle with the PMR30 with a CPL. If its a rifle, it will have to be unloaded until being used for shooting activities.

I believe it's the shortest length it can be fired from would
    determine status.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    It's a rifle federally and a pistol in Michigan. Your LGS should have completed a RI-60 on it, however many are not aware of some of the firearms out there that fit into this category.

Nothing would be stopping you from carrying it loaded in your vehicle right now as long as you have a valid MI CPL. The only penalty would be not sending in a RI-60, which is a $250 civil infraction. I'd recommend getting a non-resident CPL from another state which makes you completely exempt from RI-60s altogether.

More here: https://miopencarry.org/news/2015/06...n-Registration

Thanks for the information guys.
    Should I go back to where I purchased the firearm and ask for a pistol purchase permit? The LGS is Sportsman Warehouse.
    I will look into the non resident CPL.

Completely agree with the other comments and please let us know how it Goes

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Thanks for the information guys.
    Should I go back to where I purchased the firearm and ask for a pistol purchase permit? The LGS is Sportsman Warehouse.
    I will look into the non resident CPL.
    You certainly could, however they not understand what you're talking about. If the transfer occurred over 10 days ago, you're already past the limit of submitting a RI-60.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    You certainly could, however they not understand what you're talking about. If the transfer occurred over 10 days ago, you're already past the limit of submitting a RI-60.
    I bought it Wednesday 3/24. so maybe Ill run over there tomorrow and see if they are willing to help me out.

I am a Forum User
    all handguns in michigan have to be registered a cpl from another state does nothing for you

Quote Originally Posted by the archer View Post
    all handguns in michigan have to be registered a cpl from another state does nothing for you
    You had better go back and read the laws, along with the AG opinion on the interpretation of those laws.
    You will find that you are misinformed.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.