Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

NRA MQP (Marksmanship Qualification Program)

Apologies if this isn't in the correct forum, but since MQP seems to follow the format of competitive shooting ....

My son and I have been working on some of the NRA marksmanship qualification challenges. I've found mentions online of programs like the CMP also having marksmanship qualification programs, but I can't seem to find specific info on them. My biggest challenges so far have been just understanding the courses of fire and seeing my target accurately! Shooting what I see isn't so bad, but if what I see isn't accurate ....

If I can score a target and correctly understand the MQP brochure we downloaded, I have completed

Bullseye Pistol: Pro-Marksman
    Bullseye Pistol: Marksman

My son appears to have completed

Rimfire Rifle: Pro-Marksman
    Pistol: Pro-Marksman

My primary experience in sports achievement have involved formal testing supervised closely by officially certified judges, or else certification of completion of an officially organized group class. The honor system method of determining awards is exactly what makes the NRA MQP accessible to me at present, but I'm also nervous about just buying awards after punching paper more or less on my own. I've looked at the MQP awards webpages a few times with the intention of ordering patches, but I get confused every time. For that matter, I haven't even gotten around to filling out the actual MQP scoresheet I printed!

Does anyone have advice about the MQP in general, or more particularly, how to sort exactly which items are appropriate to order, and how to locate them on the website?

I am a Forum User
    Most NRA and CMP traditional shooting disciplines (air rifle / smallbore [3P and prone] / bullseye pistol / 3P high power / mid & long range prone / f class) all use a classification system to rank competitors based on skill level. Many competitors work achieve higher classifications as a sign of skill and progression. These are earned by firing a certain # of shots in competition at an average percentage. As an example, for 3 position (standing / sitting rapid / prone rapid / prone slow fire) high power rifle there are 5 classifications. Marksman < 84%, sharpshooter 84 - 88.99%, Expert 89 - 93.99%, Master 94 - 96.99% and High Master 97% and above.

On the flip side you also have the distinguished programs. The oldest and most popular being CMP rifle distinguished (dates to 1884). To achieve this a competitor has to finish in the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters at what are known as “excellence in competition” or EIC matches. A competitor may only fire a certain number per year. You accrue points if you place in the top 10% and once 30 are accrued and you have earned what is known as a hard leg (8 or 10 point leg) you are awarded the Distinguished Rifleman’s badge and unique DR#. This is also the highest civilian marksmanship award authorized by US codified law.

Similarly there are distinguished programs for centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, smallbore, air rifle and also international competition.

NRA also has a distinguished program which is much like the CMP but harder. You compete against all competitors at a match and steps are earned only at regional or state championship matches. You must earn 1 step at the national championships (currently camp atterbury).

That is the abbreviated version. More information is available in the CMP and NRA rule books and websites - easy Google search.

I am a Forum User
    the NRA MQP program that you speak of is nothing on the level of James' description

the NRA program you talk about is indeed an Honor System program. you can shoot the course and progress the way the program says, then buy the medals and patches or you can just buy the medals and patches...

my daughter's small bore program used (still does, shes moved on) the NRA course (4-position) and after she got going in her 4-P course, she started shooting the 3-P rifle, and the International Air Rifle courses as well. she legitimately finished as a Distinguished Expert but none of that translates over to shooting an NRA or CMP match. she does very well in those but she does NOT hold an NRA Distinguished small bore or air rifle classification...

theyre fun programs to play with if you cant make the matches and they give you achievable goals to pursue but theyre not the top of the line classifications