Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Refinish Mini-14 stock

Picked up a ban-era (186 series) Mini-14 someone has sanded it down and removed the dark stain finish and apparently use boiled linseed oil on it afterwards. Can it be re-stained back to its original Walnut color or will the boiled linseed oil prevent the stain from soaking into the stock.
    20210403_121041.jpg
    20210403_121231.jpg
    Opinions Expressed Are Mine Alone And Do Not Represent The Michigan Gun Owners Organization Its Members Affiliates Or Advertisers.

I am a Forum User
    I would think it would completely depend on how well they did the oil finish.
    If it was just wiped on once or twice some paint thinner or turpentine might get enough out to take a stain.
    If they did the oil it once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, and then once a month for a year thing it is going to be awful hard to get out.

Personally, I'd keep the oil finish and let the actual wood show.

I am a Forum User
    I dont blame you.looks way too light. You can use paint strippers, buy the best and strongest. then wipe down several times with laquer thinner. then test a small spot with stain. If you have to you can work the paint remover in with sand paper or wire brush. but you will have to final sand it back smooth. Obviously buy good gloves !

I always use a stain then tung oil only. It gives the exact USGI finish that everyone likes

I am a Forum User
    I would try Citristrip to remove any remaining BLO. Put it on THICK and wipe off after 30 minutes.

Please excuse the late reply. It's just a light application maybe two light coats.
    Opinions Expressed Are Mine Alone And Do Not Represent The Michigan Gun Owners Organization Its Members Affiliates Or Advertisers.

Sorry for late reply. Yes it is... You can see the original walnut stain in areas where action joins the stock. The shame of it is this was a police trade in originally and the person I bought it from removed all the stenciled details that I.D. as a police department weapon. Definitely going to strip and re-stain in walnut and unfortunately Ruger doesn't maintain a historical transfer trail like Colt or Smith & Wesson. I can find more way to trace this to a particular police department. Other than the stock it's a very lightly used 24 year old 186 series. Crisp rifling the actions smooth with no rattles and the metal is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by command450 View Post
    I dont blame you.looks way too light. You can use paint strippers, buy the best and strongest. then wipe down several times with laquer thinner. then test a small spot with stain. If you have to you can work the paint remover in with sand paper or wire brush. but you will have to final sand it back smooth. Obviously buy good gloves !

I always use a stain then tung oil only. It gives the exact USGI finish that everyone likes
    test if he did behind the buttpad. Do that area as a test, if its a total pain in the butt, just leave it as is, if its well done and not the perfect shade I could deal with it. Same with honest use marks. Only hacky spray paint, or a just brutal gouge would bother me in the wood.

Well if its cheap enough, anything is dealable. If I got a rifle for $60 I would not care.