Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question Seeking Advise for Recoil Reduction

I recently watched a video where a guy was recommending the DPM Recoil Rod Reducer System in his striker fired pistol. I happened to own the same pistol and found the actual product on sale. But I am leery of going outside factory spec. on internals that affect the functioning of the auto-load system.

But at the same time, my Walther PPQ has a considerably high bore axis, and if I could make it friendlier, the ergo's and great trigger will mean more. I wanted this gun to be my favorite, but there is just something about it where I struggle to find the sight picture as quickly as I do with certain others. With lesser muzzle flip, it might help after I have changed the sights also.

Has anyone found any downsides to the DPM Recoil Rod Reducer System?

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    I tried one from somewhere else once upon a time in a G23. I tried and tried to get it to work consistently-the owner just tried telling me that it needed to be tuned or adjusted, the it would work correctly.

I couldn’t abide by the possibility of such a device suddenly coming out of adjustment causing a malfunction at the wrong time. I’d think long and hard before adding such a device to your pistol.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Have no experience with this recoil reduction system, but after reading the above post, I'd ask..is the pistol you are considering installing this system on used for self defense ?
    If it in any would or could in any way reduce reliability, I'd stay away from it.
    If it's a target pistol, used for recreational shooting or competition, I'd consider giving it a try.
    Reason being, that your life won't be at risk if there's an issue with it's use.

Several (many) years ago, I bought something called an "Accu-Strut" to supposedly improve accuracy on my Mini-14..
    Not sure if it improved accuracy, as the factory trigger was / is so bad, it was difficult for me to try to shoot accurate groups with it.
    Fortunately, I found a used one for sale, to give it a try, so wasn't out a lot of $ if it didn't help.
    Need to take it out for another try..it's been years since I've shot my Mini 14.
    The manufacturer makes so great claims for the devices improvement in accuracy.

MGO Member
    I bought a DPM recoil reducer for a 3.9" Sig P320. It comes with three main springs so you can tune the right spring to the loads you shoot.
    I honestly did not see much if any change in the recoil pulse or reduction in recoil. This is a 9mm, which honestly doesn't have a ton of recoil to begin with in a gun that size.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

MGO Member
    I would recommend checking out this thread - $85 dollar recoil reduction system vs. $1 spring:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...uction-system/

tl;dr: it kind of works.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    I aim to misbehave
    I LOVED Firefly. You automatically rise in the credibility metrics in the area of "Advise from strangers," category.

Good advise, just the same. It is too big a gun for carry, for me anyway, so I suppose it would be more for recreation than defense. But in a self-defense situation, I'll throw old shoes if it will run someone out of the house. Frankly, the shotgun is a better alternative to the big handgun for home defense, so I have choices.

If it does not really reduce the felt-recoil, it is a waste of time and money. Thank you for the reply and saving me the aggravation. I currently have to send back the Meprolight front sight for the PPQ because it is no bigger that the one that is on there. I might as well bite the bullet (excuse the pun), use the money you just saved me with the money that front sight cost and just get a good set of Tridgicons ... for which I have already been waiting since January and do not expect delivery until July.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A2Important2Me View Post
    But at the same time, my Walther PPQ has a considerably high bore axis......
    High bore axis?
    Its a good thing you didnt buy a Sig then if you think the PPQs barrel is high.
    I love my PPQM1 9mm. The only gun I've found in 9mm with a lower bore line/less flip was a full size M&P 9mm, but unless you go with an aftermarket trigger in one of those, the PPQs trigger is hard to beat for reset/speed...

You have a 9mm or a .40?
    if it .40, its going to be snappy no matter what you do. Poly frames and .40S&W are not a good "low-recoil" combo.

Add weight to the gun. Maybe clamp a flashlight to the front rail.... That should help...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    High bore axis?
    Its a good thing you didnt buy a Sig then if you think the PPQs barrel is high.
    I love my PPQM1 9mm. The only gun I've found in 9mm with a lower bore line/less flip was a full size M&P 9mm, but unless you go with an aftermarket trigger in one of those, the PPQs trigger is hard to beat for reset/speed...

You have a 9mm or a .40?
    if it .40, its going to be snappy no matter what you do. Poly frames and .40S&W are not a good "low-recoil" combo.

Add weight to the gun. Maybe clamp a flashlight to the front rail.... That should help...
    I do have a Sig P320 and yes, it also has a very high bore axis. It has cool-factor for days, though. I am selling it despite how much I love it. The muzzle flip is not as much as problem for me as it is for my wife. Neither gun is a real problem on that score. I just saw a cool mod possible for the PPQ and wondered if it would be worth the dough. Based on the advice above, I decided against it.

Love my PPQ trigger also, but regretting getting the 5" barrel. It's just too big to carry concealed comfortably. The sights were my biggest complaint, and I have remedied that with Trijicon HD night sights. It made all the difference. I threw some Talon grips on it to mitigate the slip&slide, and it re-took "Favorite" status.

However, given the right circumstances, I'd sell it for Walther PDP compact to replace it.

Real men don't use recoil reduction systems.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    I shot a polymer Walther about 20 years ago...I was in my early 20's and just starting out in pistol shooting. My pistol was an aluminum Beretta 92fs. At that time I didn't think the recoil of either pistols was bad. I also shot a Ruger GP100 and then 1911 .45's. None of them felt bad to me. I did encounter a few non-athletic high school students that limp wristed the Beretta.

In the last 20 years I've shot much, much more including .44mag's, 50s&W and mouse guns with considerable felt recoil. The only gun that has bothered me that I don't care to shoot again was a Ruger 454 causal. It hit my hand wrong I guess and I have no interest in shooting that gun again.

I said all that to say, are you really old or something? Decrepit? Significant arthritis in your hand and wrist? If you are I see the point of your question...even then I knew an 89 year old who bought and shot a Wilson 1911 .45.

I took women in their 70's, fingers all bent and twisted up from arthritis and they could shoot the Glock 42 and 43...preferring the 42. Maybe you have a legit health issue; but probably you can build up the strength in your hands, wrist, and forearms and overcome this perceived recoil problem.

It will be good for you trust me! The biggest factor that I see contributing to people's deaths is lack of muscle tone and mass. (And I see a lot of dead people!) That's why after many years I've gotten back into exercising and I plan on doing it until the day I die. Pat Mac says there are 4 reasons to exercise.
    1. Longevity/prolong the quality of your life
    2. To save yourself in a bad situation
    3. To save someone else's life
    4. To kick someone's rear end

I think those are all good reasons and why I probably wouldn't spend $85 on a recoil reducing system when I could do the same thing by working out 20 minutes a day. Honestly, I'm proud of you because it took a lot of guts to ask this question on a gun forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast