Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Ed Brown 1911, first impressions

Finally had a chance today to get my Ed Brown. 45 government model out to the range. It was a quick half hour of shooting at the local indoor range. I ordered this pistol Oct of 2020 and just got it late last week. Which of all my custom 1911's has been the quickest turnaround time. I decided on my way there I was going to load up 3 Chip Mccormick 10 rd power mags and just see where the EB was at accuracy wise.

I shot the group below at a distance of 15 yds. This was the initial 30 rds out of the pistol 2 handed slow fire. Of all my 1911's this one is the most accurate out of the bag. The trigger breaks at a crisp 3.9 lbs and there is virtually no reset. The reset has to be in millimeters. I found the gold bead front sight easy to see, and it mated up well with a .140 width U notch rear sight. As expected with a pistol of this quality, everything is buttery smooth. No sharp edges, machine marks, or anything that could be considered a blemish. The front and rear checkering is called Skip Line Checkering by EB. It has excellent traction but is not coarse in the slightest of ways. It's hard to explain actually.

As time was winding down at the range I decided to shoot an older 1911 of mine. A Springfield Custom Shop Professional model. It too is a government. 45. I wanted to see how it compared, and honestly just wanted to give it some love since I haven't shot it in a bit. Where the EB is silky smooth and elegant, the Professional is rugged and mean. You could grate cheese with the checkering on the Professional. And it is fit extremely tight , kind of like a Les Baer 1911. Any ways here's a target showing the Professional is just as adept to excellent groups as well at 15 yds slow fire. (15rds)

All in all I am loving the Ed Brown so far. I have had zero issues and it runs the Chip Mccormick mags with out issue. Some 1911's can be finicky with those. If you are on the fence about getting a custom 1911 I can assure you they are worth every penny. They will supply you with a lifetimes worth of enjoyment.
    Last edited by HKmanlp1; 04-08-2021 at 02:53 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for the review. That looks like it shoots as straight as it is beautiful. I want an Ed Brown, Les Baer or Nighthawk 1911 in the near future and now lean toward the EB. The checkering on your EB is awesome and you are right about Springfield's being cheese graters. I have a TRP that can be uncomfortable at times from the aggressive checkering. Congrats on a very nice pistol.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPsycho View Post
    Thank you for the review. That looks like it shoots as straight as it is beautiful. I want an Ed Brown, Les Baer or Nighthawk 1911 in the near future and now lean toward the EB. The checkering on your EB is awesome and you are right about Springfield's being cheese graters. I have a TRP that can be uncomfortable at times from the aggressive checkering. Congrats on a very nice pistol.
    You can't go wrong with any of those makers. Nighthawk is next on my list. But they are quoting up to 18 months right now. Ed Brown has been nothing short of awesome to work with so far, and the pistol they built me is exceptional. I, like many other 1911 addicts started with a TRP like you. It's a fine pistol. I traded mine towards a Wilson Combat. The problem with stepping up in the 1911 platform is it spoils you. Between the trigger and having someone tailor a gun to your specifications, its hard to look back. Dont get me wrong, I still have my 9mm Glocks, Beretta's, and a few HK's left, and they still serve a bit of a role. But I used to enjoy going to the LGS and looking around and handling all sorts of different pistols. Now I only go to the LGS to pick up a 1911 I ordered and have zero interest in anything in the case. This may come across as snobby. But I don't know how else to explain it. For me the 1911 platform is a torrid love affair.

If you love the TRP, a Springfield Professional is a natural next step. I actually own a railed and non railed Pro model. I am thinking about selling the non railed pro pictured above. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by HKmanlp1; 04-09-2021 at 08:26 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for sharing, a great write up.