Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Would you rely on a .22 lr Ruger LCP for pocket carry self defense?

Would you rely on a .22 lr Ruger LCP for pocket carry self defense? I had a Taurus TCP in .380 but recently sold it. .380 Pocket pistols have too much recoil for me to be accurate with. I like the idea of a pocket pistol, and would prefer something with a caliber less than .380. .22 lr seems too small and not reliable enough for self defense.

So, should I buy a .22 lr Ruger LCP or not?

I am a Forum User
    Yes, you should. I have one arriving in a few days too!

While I would never recommend .22LR for self defense, if you're unable to utilize something larger, then go with it. Most people don't stick around after being shot, regardless of caliber. While the crackhead scenario of requiring something to really stop a threat is real, it's probably a bit overblown IMO depending on where you live.

The real question is, does a 10+1 .22 beat bare hands? Absolutely.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    Would you rely on a .22 lr Ruger LCP for pocket carry self defense? I had a Taurus TCP in .380 but recently sold it. .380 Pocket pistols have too much recoil for me to be accurate with. I like the idea of a pocket pistol, and would prefer something with a caliber less than .380. .22 lr seems too small and not reliable enough for self defense.

So, should I buy a .22 lr Ruger LCP or not?
    You just answered your own question. Shoot what you can be most accurate with. Many people are lying in their grave thanks to a .22.
    Maybe consider a .22WMR? A little more punch while still being controllable. Any gun in the hand beats nothing.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Yes, you should. <snip> if you're unable to utilize something larger, then go with it. <snip>
    The real question is, does a 10+1 .22 beat bare hands? Absolutely.

After surgery, I was unable to fire/carry even a mild 9mm or .38. The weight of the gun, and the force of recoil, were incredibly painful.
    A Browning Buckmark was my compromise until I could work back into something more substantial.

AS the arthritis progresses, I am again beginning to look at that Buckmark, or similar .22, as a means of protection.
    I can put 10 shots into a .75" group at 30 feet in 2-ish seconds with that Buckmark... should be enough to dissuade most aggressors.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post

After surgery, I was unable to fire/carry even a mild 9mm or .38. The weight of the gun, and the force of recoil, were incredibly painful.
    A Browning Buckmark was my compromise until I could work back into something more substantial.

AS the arthritis progresses, I am again beginning to look at that Buckmark, or similar .22, as a means of protection.
    I can put 10 shots into a .75" group at 30 feet in 2-ish seconds with that Buckmark... should be enough to dissuade most aggressors.
    This is so often overlooked. I know people who have gone through surgery and continued carrying full size duty pistols without even a thought as to whether they were capable of firing them. Several people in my family have MS and or Arthritis and for all of them I recommend carrying whatever they can comfortably and accurately shoot. .22lr is often overlooked as a defense round but it is absolutely deadly and like grease monkey said, .22lr is far better than just hands in most every situation.

Look for: Federal CCI Velocitor 22LR 40gr Gold Dot Hollow Point.

Not in a semi auto. I would in a revolver where another trigger press would move beyond a misfire without manipulating a slide.

.22 rimfire has a misfire rate higher than a centerfire in my experiance.

Well, I thought everyone was going to talk me out of it. So, looks like I will try to pick one up. I watched probably 20 videos on youtube about it. It seems if you lube it properly and use High velocity ammo it is reliable.

MGO Member
    A .32 acp maybe even a .25 acp would be better but....not many people could withstand a swarm of 22s fired at them.

And BTW, hollow points won't open up shot out a short barrelled 22 like the Ruger. I chronographed one last summer with a dozen different loads. none got over 800 fps, most were in the 700s.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    A .32 acp maybe even a .25 acp would be better but....not many people could withstand a swarm of 22s fired at them.

And BTW, hollow points won't open up shot out a short barrelled 22 like the Ruger. I chronographed one last summer with a dozen different loads. none got over 800 fps, most were in the 700s.
    Thanks, I would plan to use the highest velocity CCI .22lr that I can find, likely stingers, or the velocitors as mentioned above. I had considered the Kel-tec P32 for pocket carry as well. So, 7 rounds of .32 ACP, or 10 rounds of .22lr. This may sound, and probably is lazy, but I can for sure see myself practicing a lot more with a .22 lr pocket pistol, then with a .32 acp pistol due to ammo cost and availability.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast