Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Ear buds bs Noice Cancelling Headphones

For rifle or large calibre weapons I have always stressed head phones. But at the range its impossible to hear. Any suggestions on noise cancelling headsets for rifle/outdoor ranges?

I am a Forum User
    best setup I found that doesn't cost an arm and leg are Howard Leight impact sport ear muff with Noise Fighter gel cups. The muff have microphones on them that you can set the volume level to and shut off at a certain decible level. The gel cups make the muff much more comfortable and create a better seal between your head and the cup resulting in more sound reduction. If I am taking a carbine class with a lot of short rifles or shooting indoors I double up with surefire sonic defender earplugs. I can still hear commands thanks to the microphones but the earplugs give the added protection when the muff turn off.

I am a Forum User
    Dear Uprocks:

I compete competitive pistol and find myself at the range sometimes up to four times a week. In the wintertime most of these are indoors and shooting next to 45 ACP handguns which can be quite loud.

With that being said, I have a unique requirement to hear the range commands and to protect my hearing at the same time.

Frequently when practicing, I also like to listen to music and my hearing protection also gets use when I mow the lawn while listening to the tunes.

Since I shoot so often and put a premium on protecting what hearing I have left, and also need to hear the range commands, I double up my hearing protection:

First I use the walker razor 3 earbuds available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Behin...398364&sr=8-20

Please note that I got them for considerably less from ebay, Here is a set although I cannot vouch for the seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39305863450...oAAOSw5Clf2oDx I got mine from the seller icop in Utica, Michigan although they were sent from Louisiana.

Then I like to use ear muffs over the ear buds. I have a number of earmuffs that I have used but the most comfortable ones I have been able to find are the Peltor 500's :

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electr...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Now one thing that is nice about the peltor ear muffs is that not only are they the most comfortable set of muffs that I have tried, the over the head loop is compatable with most ball caps whereas the little button on top of the ball cap will nestle inside the frame of the head loop and not irritate the top of your head. My peltor ear muffs are bluetooth electronic noise canceling and while I cannot use the blue tooth for both the walkers and the peltors at the same time, sometimes I need a break from the ear buds and only wear the peltors during practice, especially when I am shooting 22LR outdoors.

The Walker Razor earbuds work very well with rifle and shotgun shooting where you need to tuck the stock up next to your cheek, and I find that the foam material on the walkers are very good and you can buy replacement foam as well.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    Looking at the Peltor Sport Tactical 500 now. Thanks!

If you want to buy once, cry once: https://www.sordin.com/
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    If you want to buy once, cry once: https://www.sordin.com/
    These are surprisingly affordable for the features they offer.

I’ve used Peltor for years, on active duty, working overseas, and now as a civilian. They have never let me down and I have one set that are 15 years old and still working great. I can’t speak to their entry level stuff though so YMMV

I am a Forum User
    Great info Thanks.

I used airo one time those were pretty good and felt it was worth the money

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansky2 View Post
    best setup I found that doesn't cost an arm and leg are Howard Leight impact sport ear muff with Noise Fighter gel cups. The muff have microphones on them that you can set the volume level to and shut off at a certain decible level. The gel cups make the muff much more comfortable and create a better seal between your head and the cup resulting in more sound reduction. If I am taking a carbine class with a lot of short rifles or shooting indoors I double up with surefire sonic defender earplugs. I can still hear commands thanks to the microphones but the earplugs give the added protection when the muff turn off.
    i used to have these. when shooting indoors they seemed to struggle with noises either bouncing around off walls or something, because it wasn't very good. I did buy some howard leight impact pros and found them to be far better overall, however they are also bulkier.

MGO Member
    I compared the 6 most popular shooting ear muffs (as of about a year ago), at the consumer price point, basically the best short of Sordin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBXnXSbwkQ&t=130s If you want to watch the full video comparison, if you want the cliff notes, the best value for your money is the Walkers XCEL 100, especially if you shoot rifle and dont want a cheek interference. The links on the video are affiliate links, but, Amazon shut down my affiliate account due to it being firearms related products, go figure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast