Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansky2 View Post
    The gel cups make the muff much more comfortable and create a better seal between your head and the cup resulting in more sound reduction.
    This is extremely important, and the effectiveness is made all the more difficult when you consider the arms of eye protection disrupting the seal. The added gel cushions that some mfg's offer help with this quite a bit. I know Peltor used to have them as an accessory to a set of electronic muffs, which alone retailed for a hundred at the time.

I started with the Howard leights, but found I needed to use plugs under them when shooting magnum pistols or comped rifles. I spent some decent money on 3M Peltors with the gel cups, and should have done it years ago. Far more comfortable, quiet, and special imaging with the audio pass through is significantly better. With the Howard’s I could hear things around me, but it sounded like cheap headphones. With the 3M’s, it’s more like enhanced hearing. Very natural sound, but amplified. I like to crank mine up, and can hear twigs breaking in the woods and birds chirping I can’t hear with naked ears.

These aren’t “noise cancelling” though. It’s passive. The microphones allow sound into the muffs until a noise threshold is reached and then shuts off, allowing the insulation in the headphones to do their job. I don’t know of any true noise cancelling shooting muffs, and the noise cancelling headsets I own (A $1000 Bose set) gives out and becomes overloaded just below gunshot noise levels. I tried using them around an uncorked Merlin V12, which is loud, but not gunshot loud, and they began to crackle as the drivers tried their hardest to cancel out the overwhelming volume of sound.

I am a Forum User
    Using plugs under the ear muffs is always a good idea, and essential at an indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by sse View Post
    Using plugs under the ear muffs is always a good idea, and essential at an indoor range.
    Yep. With my Howard’s I always wore yellow foamies under them and cranked the volume to max to hear through them. With the Peltors I don’t need them, even when shooting AR pistol indoors.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Yep. With my Howard’s I always wore yellow foamies under them and cranked the volume to max to hear through them. With the Peltors I don’t need them, even when shooting AR pistol indoors.
    The irony is that for a singular means, if correctly installed, nothing beats quality foam plugs that expand after rolling between your fingers. I use corded Howard Leight, very convenient.

Went to an audiologist and got some custom-shaped plugs, 50 bucks, much easier to install, but I'm not sure they provide the same level of protection as the expanding foam plugs. For the kids at Hunter Safety Ed I do a pros/cons deal of all the various methods.

BTW, those muzzle brakes, similar to the one in your avatar, are killer on adjacent lanes.

The irony is that for a singular means, if correctly installed, nothing beats quality foam plugs that expand after rolling between your fingers. I use corded Howard Leight, very convenient.

Went to an audiologist and got some custom-shaped plugs, 50 bucks, much easier to install, but I'm not sure they provide the same level of protection as the expanding foam plugs. For the kids at Hunter Safety Ed I do a pros/cons deal of all the various methods.

BTW, those muzzle brakes, similar to the one in your avatar, are killer on adjacent lanes.
    There’s no brake on that gun. That flash is all cylinder gap blast from a max load .454. It absolutely sucks to shoot indoors, so I don’t. The blast feels like a punch in the chest. I’d have to look at the data, but I think that’s about 60,000 psi leaking out of there.

I am a Forum User
    There’s no brake on that gun. That flash is all cylinder gap blast from a max load .454. It absolutely sucks to shoot indoors, so I don’t. The blast feels like a punch in the chest. I’d have to look at the data, but I think that’s about 60,000 psi leaking out of there.

That's a lot of medicine...

That's a lot of medicine...
    Bought specifically for brown bear while camping out west. Absolute sledgehammer. Ruger Toklat.

Returning to foamies….I know I can’t be alone in this, but my right ear canal simply can not use them. Whether it’s the thick yellow E.A.R. plugs, or the softer less dense green ones. No matter how deep I insert them after rolling them, I simply can not get a complete seal. Just a light pressure applied to them after they expand will make a seal, but there’s almost always just the slightest air gap somewhere in the top of my canal. Custom molded plugs are the correct answer, I’ve just never spent the time or money at the Walker’s booth to get it done. Usually doesn’t bother me too much with occasional gunfire, but kills me during long long exposures to running turbines.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 12-04-2021 at 12:12 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Bought specifically for brown bear while camping out west. Absolute sledgehammer. Ruger Toklat.

Returning to foamies….I know I can’t be alone in this, but my right ear canal simply can not use them. Whether it’s the thick yellow E.A.R. plugs, or the softer less dense green ones. No matter how deep I insert them after rolling them, I simply can not get a complete seal. Just a light pressure applied to them after they expand will make a seal, but there’s almost always just the slightest air gap somewhere in the top of my canal. Custom molded plugs are the correct answer, I’ve just never spent the time or money at the Walker’s booth to get it done. Usually doesn’t bother me too much with occasional gunfire, but kills me during long long exposures to running turbines.
    Try calling an audiologist, they set up an appointment for the mold, go back a week later to pick them up. They may be a bit more expensive than when I got them, but they sure are handy. I should probably go back for an update myself.

MGO Member
    I just got this today. Sounds promising.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/12/how...ection-review/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast