Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4717 of 2021 - Require CPL disclosure only when asked by Peace Officers

HB 4717 of 2021
    Law enforcement: peace officers; conservation officers to inquire about a CPL license when requesting forms of identification from individuals; require.
    Last Action: 4/28/2021 bill electronically reproduced 04/28/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    HB 4717 of 2021
    Law enforcement: peace officers; conservation officers to inquire about a CPL license when requesting forms of identification from individuals; require.
    Last Action: 4/28/2021 bill electronically reproduced 04/28/2021
    This will accomplish nothing, really. Just a feel good bill that makes 2A supporters think the politicos are doing something pro-2A for them.

All this will do is change the officer's first words as he walks up to your car window:

Old: "License and registration, please."
    New: "License, registration and CPL if you have one, please."

And that means you'll have to provide it even if NOT carrying concealed.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    This will accomplish nothing, really. Just a feel good bill that makes 2A supporters think the politicos are doing something pro-2A for them.

All this will do is change the officer's first words as he walks up to your car window:

Old: "License and registration, please."
    New: "License, registration and CPL if you have one, please."
    It accomplishes eliminating the "immediately" language that has hung some CPL holders in the past.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    It accomplishes eliminating the "immediately" language that has hung some CPL holders in the past.
    Again, it will simply change what the officer ALWAYS asks for. And it will require you to provide it, even if NOT carrying concealed.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Again, it will simply change what the officer ALWAYS asks for. And it will require you to provide it, even if NOT carrying concealed.
    I have no objection to an officer asking for my CPL.

I'd much prefer it be that way than an officer approaching and immediately start talking before I can get a word in edgewise, then "charging" me with not "immediately" disclosing…or simply not immediately thinking about my firearm and CPL when I get stopped for whatever reason.

I am a Forum User
    I would rather not have to say anything while carrying or be questioned when in an interaction with a police officer.

I am a Forum User
    I do, as it shouldn't be any of their business in the first place.

A convicted felon doesn't have to disclose when they are carrying, why should I have to?

I am a Forum User

I'd much prefer it be that way than an officer approaching and immediately start talking before I can get a word in edgewise, then "charging" me with not "immediately" disclosing…or simply not immediately thinking about my firearm and CPL when I get stopped for whatever reason.
    I agree, let them ask

I am a Forum User

How does this eliminate that?
    You still MUST inform IMMEDIATELY that you ARE carrying.
    The fact that the officer asks for your CPL doesn't change that.

OK... going back and READING the new bill, it DOES eliminate the need to disclose until requested.
    Last edited by Leader; 05-01-2021 at 11:16 AM.

I am a Forum User
    According to the change you only have to provide CPL if carrying, just like now.
    (2) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon on request by that peace officer: