Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MGO Board of Directors

***Officially SUPPORTED by MGO*** HB 4830 of 2021 - Eliminate prohibition against sale, manufacture or possession of brass knuckles, blackjacks, et

HB 4830 of 2021
    Crimes: weapons; prohibition against sale, manufacture, or possession of brass knuckles, blackjacks, and clubs; eliminate.
    Last Action: 5/12/2021 bill electronically reproduced 05/12/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Looks good to me, strikes out one line and lists where a definition may be found.

The only issue that I can see would be that there are no restrictions on what the local might do.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    It's currently illegal to possess a sandbag??

Quote Originally Posted by Iambusy3 View Post
    It's currently illegal to possess a sandbag??
    Of the type that can be used like a weapon, yes.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

New analysis file added:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...0-97EBE801.pdf

This bill is being heard before the House Judiciary Committee today at 9am.

It can be viewed live here:
    https://www.house.mi.gov/VideoPlayer?data=1&jwsource=cl
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

The committee just completed the hearing on this bill.

It looks to be widely embraced, with members on both sides of the isle recognizing that it is outdated and unnecessary.

There was a concern that prisoners within correctional facilities might be able to possess manufactured weapons that this law prohibits. However, it was countered-pointed that there is a standing law that addresses that concern.

There will possibly be an amendment that also removes:

(e) A device, weapon, cartridge, container, or contrivance
    designed to render a person temporarily or permanently disabled by
    the ejection, release, or emission of a gas or other substance.
    However, the intent is to legalize "self defense spray". There is already a clause in this law that does so, to a limited extent.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A self-defense spray or foam device as defined in section 224d.
    750.224d:

750.224d Self-defense spray or foam device.
    Sec. 224d.

(1) As used in this section and section 224, "self-defense spray or foam device" means a device to which all of the following apply:
    (a) The device is capable of carrying, and ejects, releases, or emits 1 of the following:
    (i) Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients.
    (ii) A solution containing not more than 18% oleoresin capsicum.
    (iii) A solution containing an ultraviolet dye and not more than 18% oleoresin capsicum.
    (b) The device does not eject, release, or emit any gas or substance that will temporarily or permanently disable, incapacitate, injure, or harm a person with whom the gas or substance comes in contact, other than the substance described in subdivision (a)(i), (ii), or (iii).
    (2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who uses a self-defense spray or foam device to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum at another person is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.
    (3) If a person uses a self-defense spray or foam device during the commission of a crime to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum or threatens to use a self-defense spray or foam device during the commission of a crime to temporarily or permanently disable another person, the judge who imposes sentence upon a conviction for that crime shall consider the defendant's use or threatened use of the self-defense spray or foam device as a reason for enhancing the sentence.
    (4) A person shall not sell a self-defense spray or foam device to a minor. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.
    (5) Subsection (2) does not prohibit either of the following:
    (a) The reasonable use of a self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 18% oleoresin capsicum by a person who is employed by a county sheriff or a chief of police and who is authorized in writing by the county sheriff or chief of police to carry and use a self-defense spray or foam device and has been trained in the use, effects, and risks of the device, while in performance of his or her official duties.
    (b) The reasonable use of either of the following by a person in the protection of a person or property under circumstances that would justify the person's use of physical force:
    (i) A self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 18% oleoresin capsicum.
    (ii) A self-defense spray or foam device containing an ultraviolet dye and not more than 18% oleoresin capsicum.
    So what would unintentionally become legal should this be struck?

(e) A device, weapon, cartridge, container, or contrivance
    designed to render a person temporarily or permanently disabled by
    the ejection, release, or emission of a gas or other substance.