Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPL INFO

I can't post links yet! Forum User

CPL INFO

When applying for a CPL, at what point are you able to legally carry concealed? I've heard that once you submit the application, they give you a piece of paper(similar to the paper you get before you receive your license) that allows you to carry without the actual card. I'm wondering how true this is. I would also like a source to any information that would provide a solid answer.

I am a Forum User
    You carry after you receive your CPL card. You can't carry just because you apply - your application might be denied.

I am a Forum User
    I stand corrected and learned something new today!
    Last edited by Stuntmanmike; 05-24-2021 at 07:27 AM.

This is from the MSP site, Application for CPL instructions.
    "The entity providing fingerprinting services shall issue a receipt when fingerprints are taken so long as the applicant has provided an application receipt. The fingerprinting receipt must contain:
    Name of the applicant.
    Date and time the receipt is issued.
    The amount paid.
    The name of the entity providing fingerprint services.
    The applicant’s state issued driver’s license or personal identification card number.
    The statement “This receipt was issued for the purpose of applying for a CPL. As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425(b), if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a CPL for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state issued driver’s license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchases of firearms.”
    Using the application receipt after 45 days might be what you are referencing.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

MGO Board of Directors

Straight from the source:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

(14) If a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued under subsection (13) within 45 days after the date the individual has classifiable fingerprints taken under subsection (9), the receipt issued under subsection (9) serves as a concealed pistol license for purposes of this act when carried with a state-issued driver license or personal identification card and is valid until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Which is precisely why Wayne County refuses to accept applications without an appointment. The clerk's office does not want to start the clock ticking. By failing to do their duty the clerk's office is regulating the issuance of CPLs in violation of MCL 123.1102 as their role in the process should be strictly ministerial.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Good to know that there is a provision in the law for this. I can’t imagine though the interaction with a police officer is always going to go smoothly when they are presented with a receipt and state ID after declaring a concealed carry situation.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmanmike View Post
    Good to know that there is a provision in the law for this. I can’t imagine though the interaction with a police officer is always going to go smoothly when they are presented with a receipt and state ID after declaring a concealed carry situation.
    Another part of that state statute stipulates that the Clerk's office is to issue the receipt with the following language on it:

(9)(f) The statement "This receipt was issued for the purpose of applying for a concealed pistol license. As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425b, if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a concealed pistol license for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state-issued driver license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Personally, I still wouldn't carry without first receiving the actual card. All they have to say is, "Gee, we don't have a record of this." Then you get to spend time and $$ proving them wrong. Best of luck!

P.S. - I knew there was an exception for the "it's been to long since applying", but didn't remember the specifics, so I thought I'd leave that up to the professional correctors ... I still wouldn't carry, personally.
    Last edited by Scoop; 05-24-2021 at 01:32 PM.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    45 days after fingerprint and completed application (both) submitted. You can carry per Michigan statute, but you're not entitled to the other benefits of a CPL (e.g., no pistol purchase permit needed for private purchases). I forget what you need to carry to prove this (some combination of receipts showing you took all the steps).

I wouldn't risk it. Not worth a night in jail to carry an extra few weeks/months. You'll get it soon enough.

[Which is not to say the counties that are purposefully slow are in the right; just the risk/reward isn't worth it right now]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast