Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPL INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Man View Post
    45 days after fingerprint and completed application (both) submitted. You can carry per Michigan statute, but you're not entitled to the other benefits of a CPL (e.g., no pistol purchase permit needed for private purchases). I forget what you need to carry to prove this (some combination of receipts showing you took all the steps).
    What is your source for this?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kryl View Post
    What is your source for this?
    MCL 28.425(b)(9)(f): The statement "This receipt was issued for the purpose of applying for a concealed pistol license. As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425b, if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a concealed pistol license for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state-issued driver license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5jh...me=mcl-28-425b

(Thought I would make up for being lazy in my earlier post in this thread ... )

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    MCL 28.425(b)(9)(f): The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".
    Don't the applicable laws imply that if you have a CPL, one is able to buy privately? I was asking about MAN's post.

I am a Forum User
    Don't the applicable laws imply that if you have a CPL, one is able to buy privately? I was asking about MAN's post.
    "This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".

I interpret this as the receipt allows you to CARRY after 45 days, but it doesn't allow you to purchase private party using an RI-060. What are you going to put on the RI-060 in the box labeled "CPL Number"?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    "This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".

I interpret this as the receipt allows you to CARRY after 45 days, but it doesn't allow you to purchase private party using an RI-060. What are you going to put on the RI-060 in the box labeled "CPL Number"?
    If I didn't have my initial CPL yet I would put the receipt number that the clerk gave to me on the RI-60. It is the State of Michigan who is breaking the law by dragging their feet, not the applicant. I doubt if most first timers would be that bold though.

I think that the best advice if you want the gun immediately and anticipate the Wayne county problem would be to get a New Hampshire
    non-resident license even before you apply for the Michigan CPL. Then you wouldn't have to fill out the RI-60.

MGO Member
    Seller MUST fill out RI-60 regardless.
    Buyer having an out of state cpl means he doesn't have turn it in.

Most sellers are gonna want their portion of RI-60 for their records.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    If I didn't have my initial CPL yet I would put the receipt number that the clerk gave to me on the RI-60. It is the State of Michigan who is breaking the law by dragging their feet, not the applicant. I doubt if most first timers would be that bold though.
    The RI-060 doesn't say "Receipt number". It says "CPL number". If the seller is willing to put your "receipt number" there instead of a CPL number, that's on him/her.

Once you have waited 45 days you have a legal right to that CPL. This is a typical mess caused by politicians.

I am a Forum User
    Once you have waited 45 days you have a legal right to that CPL. This is a typical mess caused by politicians.
    Unless the law that allows you to CARRY with a receipt after 45 days specifically states that the same receipt also good to use in lieu of a CPL with an RI-060 for private party sales, you're treading in waters I wouldn't.

INAL, but I don't interpret "This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms" as "use your receipt in lieu of a CPL for the purpose of private party sales."

I'd advise you or anyone to do more research or contact an attorney before signing forms that clearly state "A person who forges any matter or makes a material false statement on this form is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both."
    Last edited by Scoop; 07-19-2021 at 08:38 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

If the intent was to allow the purchase of a pistol with no background check (i.e., no RI-010 and no RI-060) but having applied for a CPL, there would have been no need to specify "This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms".
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12