Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Opinions on 450BM for hunting White Tail

So I’ve recently acquired a new rifle for hunting, it’s a really nice quality rifle and it’s in 450BM cause frankly I don’t have time anymore to travel north for rifle season. What’s your guys/gals opinions on this caliber and tell me some stories on your experience! Would really love the input and the stories!

Thanks

I am a Forum User
    I have a couple 450 bushmaster uppers, and love the round. Definitely a short range cartridge, but a lot of hunters aren't usually shooting more than 50-100 yards. I have seen a couple guys shooting out past 200yds (one guy out to 300 or better), but you really need to know your wind drifts. With that said, it is a very effective hunting round, if you have the right bullet. When I got into it, the only options for ammo were Hornady 250gr FTX or Remington 260gr Accutip. Hornady usually had good accuracy, but the terminal performance has been all over the map. The Remington has always been poor across the board. Biggest issues with the Rem were overall lengths and crimps, which gave poor accuracy and consistency, along with unimpressive terminal performance. Nowadays there are more offerings, even high end boutique loads (they get pricey though), that now offer more (and better) bullet choices.

I actually got into handloading mainly because of the 450 bushmaster because we only had 2 ammo choices. I have played with a few different ones, but at this point stick mainly to the 275 TSX. Took a small-medium cow elk on a cull tag, broadside shot at about 50-60yds, it ran about 40-50 yds and piled up in a ditch. Just caught the front shoulder (which was maybe an inch thick at that point), bullet fully expanded, blew through a rib on the way in, massive damage to lungs, mossed ribs going out. Didn't get a full review of damage because of the way the guide dressed the animal. Quick and in a bucket, and we had to get it home fast, it was really warm out. Went to Maine the year prior and took a 300ish lb black bear with the same bullet. It was about a 50yrd shot and had to go through the shoulder to get the lungs. Well was off by a little bit, but still just caught the onside lung, almost completely severed the trachea, some damage to heart, massive damage to the offside lung, exit wound the size of a cueball, and the bullet tried to suck the lung out the exit wound. It hit in ground kicked itself across the ground about 7ft, and was done. The 275 TSX is a great bullet. Low minimum velocity for expansion and decent b.c. (for a 45 cal bullet). On paper, it looks like it would still expand out to 300+yds, depending on how fast you can push it, but you really need to now your wind drift numbers.

I did use the 200 XPB on a small buck a few years back. Buck was at about 25yds, angled shot. The 200 XPB opened quick, blew through a rib going in and coming out, completely destroyed one lung and sprayed a huge amount of blood and lung matter behind him. Deer crawled about 10yds and was finished. The 200 XPB has a high minimum velocity for expansion, and a low b.c., so try to keep it at a 100yds max.

Overall, extremely happy with the cartridge, especially in AR's. Don't think I'll be without one, and hopefully I can eventually get back to testing/hunting with other bullets for it. One thing, though, I've noticed more meat loss to being bloodshot with this cartridge. Especially if you're going into a shoulder.
    Last edited by BMT85; 05-23-2021 at 10:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Outstanding whitetail cartridge. Stories are all the same....crosshair on chest, pull trigger, drag out. Have killed many deer with it.

I like it although it's really more than you need for whitetail.

Very effective round. Does an amazing job. I was able to shoot 2 Deer last year using my 450 and it was an absolute bloodbath. Dropped them immediately. One at 110yds and one at 60yds.

MGO Member
    Took a 6 point at about 175 yards 2 years ago with the 450. It literally dropped over right where it stood.

I’ve shot 3 deer with a 450 and all dropped pretty much where they were standing.
    As noted, bullets are the sore spot. Hornady SSTs (the only bullet I’ve much experience with) are extremely quick opening in my limited experience with them. Some times they exit, some times they don’t. They DO get into the important parts and jelly everything they come near so I look at it as a moot point as long as the target is deer sized. I would look for a tougher option if hunting bear or hogs, though it should work well on game up to moose at reasonable range with tougher bullets.
    I look at the cartridge as being a slightly higher velocity muzzle loader with similar bullet/sabot loads and noticeably more accuracy. It is not a long range round although I’m sure people have managed to successfully stretch it just like people stretch shotgun slugs and muzzle loaders past their intended range. Use the right bullet and they are very accurate, work great on deer out to 200/250 yds and gives the old 45/70 a run for its money although with lighter bullets

Edited to add
    The comments about wind drift are valid. These bullets with a very low BC at their relatively low speeds drift almost as bad as a 22lr as do similar shotgun and muzzy bullets. At 300 yds from a 100 yd zero according to Hornadies ballistic calculator the 250 gr Black box load drops 33.3” and drifts 18.8” with a 15 mph wind which is a mild breeze and normal here in Mi. You need to have a accurate idea of the range and wind or be lucky to not wound or miss at this range.
    Last edited by Ol` Joe; 05-24-2021 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Adding to reply
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    I don't hunt in the shotgun/limited rifle zone but I'ved use a 450BM several times on deer. It just slams deer. I've also used the 350 Legend on deer in the real rifle zone. Slams deer as well.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    I will echo the above: It destroys deer, and bullet selection is key.

This is the bullet I've been using with great results: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...452-245-gr-sp#!

If you don't reload you can get this bullet in loaded ammunition: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...n-whitetail#!/

Another great option for loaded ammunition: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle...F450BMFS1.html

It's great for shotgun zone. Nothing really bad to say just it drops at longer distances, and it costs a bit more per round but that's not a big deal.

If you are scoped under 200 yards 450 or 350 legend should be on your radar for the shotgun zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast