Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question about shotgun that is registered as a pistol

I purchased a Winchester 1300 defender and the guy I bought it from said that it is a registered pistol in Michigan. I/ has an 18 inch barrel and has a pistolgrip no stock. I filled out the rio-60 but I dont believe it is a pistol. Can I have it unregistered? I'm totally unsure. Do I have to turn in my Rio-60? I only have a michigan cpl so well you know . Can I get some opinions?

complete MSP form RI-044 FIREARM RECLASSIFICATION to have it no longer considered a pistol.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you I figured it was a form but was unsure do I have to send in th rio60 first?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfeltonme View Post
    I filled out the rio-60 but I dont believe it is a pistol.
    Based on your description, it's not a handgun (pistol). It's a pistol grip firearm.

MGO Member
    When the original owner bought it, it was considered a "Michigan Pistol" i,e, under 30" with a pistol grip. The Attorney General opined that these had to be registered. This is no longer the case so the OP doesn't need an RI60 or if already filled out, doesn't need to turn it in.

As Scoop said it is actually just an "other" firearm, not a shotgun since it came from the factory with a pistol grip and not a stock.. Technically the OP could cut the barrel down until the OAL is just over 26", then it would be like a Shockwave. You don't need any paperwork to do that.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    When the original owner bought it, it was considered a "Michigan Pistol" i,e, under 30" with a pistol grip. The Attorney General opined that these had to be registered. This is no longer the case so the OP doesn't need an RI60 or if already filled out, doesn't need to turn it in.

As Scoop said it is actually just an "other" firearm, not a shotgun since it came from the factory with a pistol grip and not a stock.. Technically the OP could cut the barrel down until the OAL is just over 26", then it would be like a Shockwave. You don't need any paperwork to do that.
    This is my thought, my Mossberg is the same. Not REALLY a pistol, but was transferred as one due to the pistol grip.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post

That may not be accurate. The Shockwave was allowed because it was not in a previous configuration prior to that. Taking a PGF or "other" and modifying it MAY be considered a SBS.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    This is my thought, my Mossberg is the same. Not REALLY a pistol, but was transferred as one due to the pistol grip.
    If you're saying your FFL transferred it as a "Handgun", then (a) it was transferred incorrectly and (b) an incorrect checkbox on a Form 4473 doesn't change the definition of a handgun. It's "not REALLY a pistol" because it's NOT a pistol (handgun). Your FFL can amend the 4473: Make a copy, make the changes on the copy, then both you and s/he initial the changes and s/he keeps the corrected copy with the original.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    If you're saying your FFL transferred it as a "Handgun", then (a) it was transferred incorrectly and (b) an incorrect checkbox on a Form 4473 doesn't change the definition of a handgun. It's "not REALLY a pistol" because it's NOT a pistol (handgun). Your FFL can amend the 4473: Make a copy, make the changes on the copy, then both you and s/he initial the changes and s/he keeps the corrected copy with the original.
    To elaborate further, a FFL can transfer a rifle as a rifle on the 4473, that also meets the definition of a Michigan pistol. For example, most AK underfolders are federally a rifle, but a MI pistol due to being operable with the stock folded which will put most of those at 24".

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    That may not be accurate. The Shockwave was allowed because it was not in a previous configuration prior to that. Taking a PGF or "other" and modifying it MAY be considered a SBS.
    OP didn't say he or anyone else modified it, so the assumption was/is that it was purchased with a pistol grip.

Also, needs to be less than 26" OAL or barrel length of less than 18" to be SBS, including a firearm made from a shotgun. He never stated it's current OAL, but did state the barrel length was 18", not less than 18"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast