Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto AK

MGO Member

Palmetto AK

Bought a AK-V from Palmetto and am very pleased and am thinking about one of their regular AK's. Which one is the best one as far as service and holding up? Thanks!

I have a GB2, their second generation. The big difference with the second Gen from the first is the billet trunnions, bolt, and bolt carrier. I believe the first Gen is cast. The third Gen (GF3) and AK-E are forged. The AKE is a 100 series AK (opposed to AKM) with a cold hammer forged barrel made by FN, and a nickel boron coated bolt/ bolt carrier. As of right now, the AK-E is their premium AK. I’m at the ~3000 round mark on my GB2, and am just starting to see some peening on the right trunnion lug and bolt carrier tail. That kind of wear didn’t start to show up until about 5000 rounds with Rob Ski’s torture test (of which he couldn’t say enough good things about the GB2). But, understand, the standard PSA AK, at least the 1st and second Gen, are ‘hobbyist’ rifles. This kind of wear is normal. I don’t imagine my GB2 will last beyond 10,000 rounds. Though, I was told a machine gun rental range in Las Vegas converted a GF3 (third Gen) to full auto, and aside from needing a barrel change at 17,000 rounds, it’s still running.

I’m looking for an AK-E myself to do a premium AK build. This being considered with the likes of Kalashnikov USA, Arsenal, and Krebs. I believe it to be swinging with those top tier manufacturers.

My GB2 was a FANTASTIC deal. I paid $400 for it and it came with the Zhukov folder/ long foregrip which by itself is a $250 furniture set. Rivets look excellent, finish (melonite) is fantastic, machine work is fantastic, and it’s shockingly accurate (about 2” at 100 yards with Tula/ Wolf). My only concern is the slight peening that’s starting to appear, which may be a result of a weak heat treat, or just in the nature for a billet gun. Rob Ski showed the same wear in his at 5000 rounds, and said it was nothing to worry about. But I’m thinking another 7000 rounds down the road. As a hobbyist gun they’re probably the best value you can get. As a lifelong go-to work horse, I’m not sure how the billet guns will work out. The third Gen (forged) and AK-E are much better. The AK-E, being a 100 series AK, should have a 90 degree gas port too. Which, by design, is supposed to reduce barrel erosion/ wear and increase life. The barrel being made by FN (the only AK barrel made by FN) gives me quite a bit of confidence in the product. FN doesn’t make trash, and FN isn’t cheap.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 05-25-2021 at 10:13 AM.

I have the AK103 and its awesome.
    I also have the AK-74, but havent shot it yet.

MGO Member
    That AK-v has kinda started to get the bug going. Amazed how simple AK's are.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    That AK-v has kinda started to get the bug going. Amazed how simple AK's are.
    Don’t let them fool you. Simple in design, but making them function correctly and for long periods of time requires a good industrial backbone. That’s why the Soviet states made and continue to make excellent AK variants, while American AK variants have had a reputation for being sub par until just the last few years. Precision stampings, consistent riveting, and proper heat treating are crucial. The small private companies that made American AK’s didn’t have the government funded industrial infrastructure like the Soviets had. Even the Russians had trouble at first, which is why the Type 1 AK was milled instead of stamped like intended......they just couldn’t get it right on their first go.

PSA is doing it right, and making some good quality products. Rumor has it that we should see an SVD next year, which is pretty exciting.

MGO Member
    SVD?

SVD?
    An unimportable DMR rifle in 7.62x54r. The “Dragunov”. The few that are in the country legally sell for massive amounts of money. The Polish versions (PSL) sell for about a third, but are still in the thousands. Think an AK with practical accuracy to 800 yards. PSA wants to produce them in 7.62x54r, .308, and 6.5 creed.

I am a Forum User
    Blog post about the Battlefield Vegas GF3.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/blog...eld-vegas.html

GF3 are good guns, I really like mine. If you like the specs of the 103, but want a standard akm pattern, go GF5. The GF4, from what I can tell is the same as the GF5, but has a trigger that is between the GF3 and the Geissle that’s in the GF5. From what I can tell anyway.

MGO Member
    So where does one go to find out what the + and - are with each model? 103, 104, GF3, GF4 ,AK-e and AKM. I get lost very easy.

So where does one go to find out what the + and - are with each model? 103, 104, GF3, GF4 ,AK-e and AKM. I get lost very easy.
    watch robski vids on youtube ak operators union.

I am sold on them, not buying one in the panic, but 4 years ago I would not have bought any palmetto, besides maybe a 400 ar15. I would buy an palmetto ak now with no reservation.

I do not have strong opinons on which one you should get, they are legit well made now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast