Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Anyone know what Wayne County used to carry?

Back in 2019 I picked up this nice S&W 10-5 from King's Firearms, and it is engraved on the frame with "Wayne County" followed by a badge number. King's couldn't tell me which Wayne County it came from, and everyone I have found on other forums who said that it came from Wayne County Michigan seemed to be just assuming so. It did not come with the original grips so I added the Altamont grip pictured. Since it was part of a surplus batch in 2019, I am assuming it was a county jail gun from somewhere, I know lots of jails still used revolvers but I have a hard time believing there was a sheriff's dept using six shooters as a standard-issue duty weapon in the twenty-teens. But, I know some departments just put their revolvers in mothballs when they switched to semi-autos, and took a long time to actually get around to selling them. Last week I sent off for my Letter of Authenticity from S&W, but their website says 10-16 week wait. I thought I'd post here and see if anyone knew whether or not Wayne Co deputies or corrections officers ever carried revolvers like this. Or, maybe one of you has a gun from the same batch and already put in for your letter? Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide some insight!

Right Side.jpg

Wayne County.jpg

I am a Forum User
    I have a .357 that was my Dad's, who was a Wayne County Sheriff that was similarly marked

MGO Member
    That is a Wayne County Rack number to identify who it was issued to. They stopped carry them 20+ years ago but did not force older deputies to change unless they were on the road. There is one or two officers in the courts that carry them.

MGO Member
    How many 6" barrels were in use?
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrant View Post
    That is a Wayne County Rack number to identify who it was issued to. They stopped carry them 20+ years ago but did not force older deputies to change unless they were on the road. There is one or two officers in the courts that carry them.
    Thanks for the info. So, is this definitely a deputy's gun, rather than a CO's gun?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitarmament View Post
    Thanks for the info. So, is this definitely a deputy's gun, rather than a CO's gun?
    Deputies switch between Jail/Court/Road all the time. There is no "Corrections Officer" in Wayne County Sheriff Department, just deputies.

Not aware of any 6" guns unless Mounted units or SWAT used them. I have only come accross 4", 2", 2.5" and one 3" gun in my experience.

I am a Forum User
    Good info. Thank you very much.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Just saw this thread. I attended the wcsd academy in 1985 and we were issued that exact model with the 5" barrel. Funny that the county also issued us a Bianchi Hurricane holster that was designed for a 4" barrel so 1" of barrel protruded from the bottom of the holster. We then turned the model 10 in for model 65's with winchester 38 +p+ ammo. Then finally sig 9mm.