Picked up a couple Schmeisser AK mags. Apparently they were just released, though their AR mags have been out for a while. I had good luck with their AR mags using brass cased ammo, and was curious to see how these would work out being the vast majority of AK ammo here is steel cased.

Initial impressions is that these are very well made. The polymer is glass reinforced, and has steel reinforcements in the locking areas of the mags. Surprisingly light weight, much lighter than a steel mag, and still lighter than 2 poly mags. They look and feel very durable.

Feeding the mag with Wolf (poly coated) was the most difficult mag I’ve ever tried to load before. It was much easier with Golden Tiger (lacquered). Though, that was the same story with the AR mags. And just like the AR mags, poly coated Wolf/ Tula liked to bind in the quad stack. VERY difficult going in, and reluctant to come out. Many of the first 30 in the mag would dribble out after tension in the stack was released by stripping the top one off. There’s just too much friction from the poly coated cases for these to work. After only one trial mag, it looks like the lacquer coated Golden Tiger worked fine. Much easier to load, much easier to strip the top round, and more consistent follower tension. Charging the AK on a full mag was still a big PITA. Lots of force being applied to the bolt from the pressure in the stack. And it’s not just fully loaded either. Charging the gun with the mag loaded over 50 rounds is a bear.

But..... they are pretty low profile compared to other options. Much smaller and lighter than a drum, less bulk than a coupled mag, and when mounted in the gun it appears to be a fat 30 rounder. I’m sure, like the AR version, these will run like a sewing machine with brass cased ammo. Though, being an AK, it’s unlikely it will see much of it (I can’t remember ever buying brass cased 7.62x39). The lacquered stuff seemed to run OK, but I haven’t tried more than a mag of it.

Found these for $50 on some smaller gun site that sent me an email announcing them, though it looks like the bigger places are wanting $65-$85 for them.