Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)

Couldn't buy a gun today...thanks SOS

My DL expired last Monday, made an appointment 4/17...can't get in until 7/26. I know I could check at 8 am and 12 pm to see if there are any cancellations/openings available, but I generally don't get up until the crack of noon. Went to Dunhams today and saw a pistol that I wanted, the guy behind the counter said I had to have a current ID that shows an expiration date. What a freakin' hassle...sucks to have my rights denied because of an inept government agency. I do keep the confirmation email on my phone showing my upcoming appointment, but that didn't help.
    I'm even afraid to travel out of state because other states may not be understanding of what's going on here in Michigan in regards to the SOS.

This nonsense has to stop!

My daughter ran into this earlier this year. Going on the SOS site back in march we were getting July dates also. So we checked at 8am, and noon for appointment times they release at then. I believe they actually hold back some appointment times as the selections were evenly spaced out all day v/s just cancellations which would be more patchy. There are 3 SOS offices within 1/2 hour and we checked them all. It was closer to quarter after when the extra appointments popped up and we got a date for the next day at the furthest one of the 3 local locations. Just our luck there was a traffic accident which we got stuck in for about 45 minutes and had to cancel that appointment. Next morning we did the same thing and got an appointment 2 days away at the closest facility (they had some next day times as well but I couldn't take her) . It is just stupid that they're setting up appointments like this.

MGO Board of Directors

There is still a huge backlog due to shutting the offices down completely for several weeks last year (on top of the Real ID thing). Until that backlog is caught up, if they were to open up ALL available appointments, they would get booked 100% and nobody with urgent needs would have any chance of getting in within a day or two. That is the reason for the 8am/12pm openings vs open appointments all the time, it allows for urgent need appointments in a short timeframe.

I don't like getting up "early" either…but I do when necessary!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    There is no excuse for this...they need to do whatever is needed to clear this up.

I am a Forum User
    You can use any government issued ID and a vehicle registration with your address. A passport or CPL would work for an ID.

Is Dunham's not aware of this or are they unwilling to do it?

MGO Member
    Mudoven maybe Joslin Benson will buy the gun and hang on to it for you until you can legally buy?

The SOS is a fricken joke.

Photo by: Courtesy State of Michigan -- >>LINK

Posted at 4:15 PM, Jun 10, 2021
    and last updated 4:15 PM, Jun 10, 2021

Michigan Senate has approved the extended deadline for expired driver’s licenses, state IDs, and car registrations in the state. The new renewal date is September 30.

"By extending the expiration date for driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, we can ensure Michigan drivers don’t getting punished with a $200 ticket or a late fee because they couldn’t get an appointment at the secretary of state in time,” Senator Ruth Johnson said.

Johnson’s bill will take effect on April 1 and late fees will be waived until branch offices offer at least 8 hours of same-day, walk-in services.

“While it was good to see the secretary of state finally listening to Michigan families, adding more appointment slots for branch offices, and prioritizing services for people with disabilities — it’s not enough,” Johnson said. “The secretary of state created this issue and she needs to fix it. The decision to end same-day services and go to an appointment-only system does not work when people still can’t get an appointment for months in many areas.”

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by zcolt45 View Post
    Photo by: Courtesy State of Michigan -- >>LINK

Posted at 4:15 PM, Jun 10, 2021
    and last updated 4:15 PM, Jun 10, 2021

Michigan Senate has approved the extended deadline for expired driver’s licenses, state IDs, and car registrations in the state. The new renewal date is September 30.

"By extending the expiration date for driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, we can ensure Michigan drivers don’t getting punished with a $200 ticket or a late fee because they couldn’t get an appointment at the secretary of state in time,” Senator Ruth Johnson said.

Johnson’s bill will take effect on April 1 and late fees will be waived until branch offices offer at least 8 hours of same-day, walk-in services.

“While it was good to see the secretary of state finally listening to Michigan families, adding more appointment slots for branch offices, and prioritizing services for people with disabilities — it’s not enough,” Johnson said. “The secretary of state created this issue and she needs to fix it. The decision to end same-day services and go to an appointment-only system does not work when people still can’t get an appointment for months in many areas.”
    This will help you avoid a ticket for driving on an expired license. However, it has no bearing when it comes to purchasing a firearm from an FFL. Your "government issued ID" must not be expired.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    This will help you avoid a ticket for driving on an expired license. However, it has no bearing when it comes to purchasing a firearm from an FFL. Your "government issued ID" must not be expired.
    That's because, you know, one day makes a difference in a photo ID that has an image that looks like you and proof the gov acknowledged it up until…yesterday! Now, there's no way of knowing for sure if it is really you!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    You can use any government issued ID and a vehicle registration with your address. A passport or CPL would work for an ID.

Is Dunham's not aware of this or are they unwilling to do it?
    I know that some states have codified their CPL (or equivalent license, whatever they call it) as a form of ID, but I wasn't aware that Michigan did that. I would not accept a CPL and registration (or other state issued or government issued document for address verification) for a purchase, but if today is the day I'm learning something, I'm all ears. Yes, I know the CPL is issued by the state and it has a photo, a DOB and the person's name. But I'm looking for codified law that the MI CPL is considered valid for identification purposes.

Serious question: If a CPL is acceptable as a form of "government issued ID", then why does MI law require CPL holder to carry both their ID (e.g., MI DL or ID card) *and* your CPL if carrying concealed? If the CPL as considered valid ID, then they wouldn't need a DL or ID.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast