Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Neither does a passport, yet it counts for government issued ID for a firearm transfer.
    Not by itself (like a DL or ID card). It has to be used with a supplemental document for address verification.

A passport is a worldwide accepted form of identification. That's why it can be used with a supplemental document that provides address verification. A MI CPL is not (yet) an accepted form of identification (like a passport is).
    Last edited by Scoop; 06-14-2021 at 07:47 AM.

I am a Forum User
    It's interesting that other entities have used my MI CPL for a second form of ID verification, such as getting a PO Box, opening a bank account, or closing on a mortgage refinance.

Either way, the OP could use a passport and vehicle registration, but I'm betting Dunham's won't do that.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    At least one ID must have an address.
    Only one is an "ID", not both.

A passport verifies your identity.

A supplemental government issued document, such as a voter registration, vehicle registration, etc., serves as address verification, not identification.

Because a state-issued DL or ID car has your address on it, a DOB, your name and a photo, it can serve as both identity verification and address verification.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    It's interesting that other entities have used my MI CPL for a second form of ID verification, such as getting a PO Box, opening a bank account, or closing on a mortgage refinance.

Either way, the OP could use a passport and vehicle registration, but I'm betting Dunham's won't do that.
    I agree - there should be consistency. The bill PhotoTom mentioned would validate the MI CPL as acceptable for FFL transfers as (at least) ID and, if our address is added to it, for address verification.

If Dunham's is to lazy or ignorant to read the instructions on the 4473, or if their "policy" is to ONLY accept a valid, unexpired DL or state issued ID card, then the buyer should avoid spending any money there.

I am a Forum User
    Our Senate has introduced 2 bills that would force the SOS offices to go back to the walk-in system as before.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
    Our Senate has introduced 2 bills that would force the SOS offices to go back to the walk-in system as before.
    Without a filibuster proof majority in both chambers, I doubt that would be signed by wHitler the Clown in Lansing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Not by itself (like a DL or ID card). It has to be used with a supplemental document for address verification.
    Right, I already stated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I agree - there should be consistency. The bill PhotoTom mentioned would validate the MI CPL as acceptable for FFL transfers as (at least) ID and, if our address is added to it, for address verification.

If Dunham's is to lazy or ignorant to read the instructions on the 4473, or if their "policy" is to ONLY accept a valid, unexpired DL or state issued ID card, then the buyer should avoid spending any money there.
    Agreed.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
    Once the backlog is caught up, I would MUCH prefer the appointment system vs "as before". Before COVID, I would walk in, pull a number and leave, running errands for a few HOURS, return to check where they were at, leave again for a couple more hours, come back…then ultimately wait an hour or so inside.

If they remain "by appointment only" and actually have next day (or two) appointments available at all times, AND if they actually keep the appointments on-time…that beats the walk-in system all day, any day for me! However, I do recognize that there are SOS offices where you can walk in and walk right up to the counter, but none in the Wayne/Oakland/Washtenaw/Monroe Counties area...that I am aware of anyway.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

This is why I like 80% stuff.

Moving back to MI from AZ in Aug and after reading this went to the SOS (God is that aptly named) website. Earliest I can get in? Sept. That's just plain ignorant.
    So, guess I'll have to wait to get another MI CPL as well since I'm assuming they'll want a copy of my MI DL in order to apply.
    Oh, and really looking forward to having to do NICS checks again. So happy about that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast