Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    That's because, you know, one day makes a difference in a photo ID that has an image that looks like you and proof the gov acknowledged it up until…yesterday! Now, there's no way of knowing for sure if it is really you!
    LOL. You didn't even need to break out the purple for that ...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I know that some states have codified their CPL (or equivalent license, whatever they call it) as a form of ID, but I wasn't aware that Michigan did that. I would not accept a CPL and registration (or other state issued or government issued document for address verification) for a purchase, but if today is the day I'm learning something, I'm all ears. Yes, I know the CPL is issued by the state and it has a photo, a DOB and the person's name. But I'm looking for codified law that the MI CPL is considered valid for identification purposes.

Serious question: If a CPL is acceptable as a form of "government issued ID", then why does MI law require CPL holder to carry both their ID (e.g., MI DL or ID card) *and* your CPL if carrying concealed? If the CPL as considered valid ID, then they wouldn't need a DL or ID.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what...sferee-firearm

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.
    I'm not 100% if a CPL meets, but it sounds like it does.

Bought a Harley Tri- Glide May 13th from a guy in Ohio. Got on the SOS website on Friday the 14th at noon so I could get the title transferred, plate, etc. Got an appointment for Monday, the 17th. Was in and out in about a half hour instead the usual hour and a half or more. I sold my other two bikes to people I knew within the next couple weeks. They both snagged appointments within a couple days.
    I guess if we all had the same mindset as the OP, we could all 3 be admiring our new rides sitting in the garage until August or September instead of riding them
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    My DL expired last Monday, made an appointment 4/17...can't get in until 7/26. I know I could check at 8 am and 12 pm to see if there are any cancellations/openings available, but I generally don't get up until the crack of noon. Went to Dunhams today and saw a pistol that I wanted, the guy behind the counter said I had to have a current ID that shows an expiration date. What a freakin' hassle...sucks to have my rights denied because of an inept government agency. I do keep the confirmation email on my phone showing my upcoming appointment, but that didn't help.
    I'm even afraid to travel out of state because other states may not be understanding of what's going on here in Michigan in regards to the SOS.

This nonsense has to stop!
    I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. I needed to get to the SOS twice the past year, and by following instructions and checking in the morning never had to wait more than 1 week. I guess if you are willing you complain on the internet instead of just getting it done, you don't need a driver's license that badly.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post

I think the problem with a CPL is, it doesn't have an address on it. Right now, there is a bill in Michigan legislature to make a CPL an acceptable identification document for voting. The State of Michigan doesn't recognize a Michigan CPL as a form of identification.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I think the problem with a CPL is, it doesn't have an address on it. Right now, there is a bill in Michigan legislature to make a CPL an acceptable identification document for voting. The State of Michigan doesn't recognize a Michigan CPL as a form of identification.
    Neither does a passport, yet it counts for government issued ID for a firearm transfer.

MGO Board of Directors

Neither does a passport, yet it counts for government issued ID for a firearm transfer.
    I had to look, but you are right about the passport not having an address. So, if you are right about a MI CPL being acceptable, that would mean between a passport and CPL, no address!

That combination defiantly would not be acceptable. Per the ATF link you provided:

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.
    At least one ID must have an address.

The underlined excerpt is what invalidates a MI CPL from being acceptable. As mentioned previously, Michigan does not consider a MI CPL to be a form of ID, hence the bill to make it so for voting purposes, at least.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User

I'm aware of all that. Let me rephrase/restate my understanding:

In lieu of a DL or ID, we can accept a passport AND another government issued document that provides address verification. This is because a passport is a worldwide accepted document that proves ID, and a supplemental government issued document, such as a vehicle registration or voter ID card, provides the second requirement: address verification.

What I'm saying is: Some states have specifically (codified in law) that a CPL is, in fact, acceptable as a valid form of ID, while other states have not and/or do not allow a CPL to be accepted as a valid ID.

I've never read anywhere in MI compiled law where it states the MI CPL is an accepted form of ID. That's why I won't accept it to cover the ID portion of the federal requirement to purchase a firearm.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    Bought a Harley Tri- Glide May 13th from a guy in Ohio. Got on the SOS website on Friday the 14th at noon so I could get the title transferred, plate, etc. Got an appointment for Monday, the 17th. Was in and out in about a half hour instead the usual hour and a half or more. I sold my other two bikes to people I knew within the next couple weeks. They both snagged appointments within a couple days.
    I guess if we all had the same mindset as the OP, we could all 3 be admiring our new rides sitting in the garage until August or September instead of riding them
    The one and only time I tried to snag a "next day appointment" by going on the SoS site at noon worked just fine for me. Sure, I had to refresh the calendar a dozen times or more to see availability (server was busy), but I got one.

I am a Forum User
    That's the info I was looking for.

Just because something is issued by a government entity (city, state, etc.), has a DOB, name and photo doesn't necessarily mean it satisfies the federal requirements to serve as the ID verification document (when used with a supplemental document for address verification) for a firearm purchase from an FFL.

That's exactly why I won't accept it as the ID until the State actually codifies it as such.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast