Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Looks like I got scammed on an online gun purchase

Placed a wanted ad for a Remington SP10 here on MGO. Son likes shooting mine and wanted to get one of his own. We had a gentleman respond within a few days that he had one. He sent pictures and answered questions about the gun everything seemed good from that standpoint. He was at his place in the UP but lives out of state, I asked how he wanted to do payment and shipping. I sent him my FFL information and he asked if we could do payment by Zelle or Venmo. My wife signed up for Zelle but we couldn’t get it to work. He was ok with sending it to his address out of state and we sent the check out. It has now been over a week since the check cleared, as soon as this happened he stopped all contact (phone, text, email, and forum PM). I believe I have bought 8 guns over the years online through various sources, several scopes, and numerous tools and other items. It has taken many years but it looks like I’ve gotten scammed. I did some rudimentary internet searching and found a guy with his name in the small town where we sent the check and his supposed employer. Just looking for advice on what you guys would do. I also guess this means we a back to looking for a Remington SP10. Thanks.

Bryan

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bryani289swmi View Post
    Placed a wanted ad for a Remington SP10 here on MGO. Son likes shooting mine and wanted to get one of his own. We had a gentleman respond within a few days that he had one. He sent pictures and answered questions about the gun everything seemed good from that standpoint. He was at his place in the UP but lives out of state, I asked how he wanted to do payment and shipping. I sent him my FFL information and he asked if we could do payment by Zelle or Venmo. My wife signed up for Zelle but we couldn’t get it to work. He was ok with sending it to his address out of state and we sent the check out. It has now been over a week since the check cleared, as soon as this happened he stopped all contact (phone, text, email, and forum PM). I believe I have bought 8 guns over the years online through various sources, several scopes, and numerous tools and other items. It has taken many years but it looks like I’ve gotten scammed. I did some rudimentary internet searching and found a guy with his name in the small town where we sent the check and his supposed employer. Just looking for advice on what you guys would do. I also guess this means we a back to looking for a Remington SP10. Thanks.

Bryan
    I know you said it's been a week, but perhaps he was in an accident or in the hospital? I've seen situations where it's taken longer, but then was resolved.

Rotten *******!! Good luck... I was outbid on a set of grips on EBay a few weeks ago, looked at the old link on my phone, and the seller now has a -1 rating! Was a scam!!
    Active airport shooter

Did the "seller" use an MGO screen name?
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

Turns out this was a scammer for the Remington SP10. According to the Admins this one was different than most in that it wasn’t an electronic payment and someone actually received and cashed my check. We will be contacting our bank tomorrow and be filing a police report. I would like to thank the Admins for their help in this. I will update again with what the bank says. Thanks.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitRider View Post
    Did the "seller" use an MGO screen name?
    L0t
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Since it crossed state lines, this is FBI territory.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyME View Post
    Since it crossed state lines, this is FBI territory.
    Fabulous, But Incompetent are to busy looking for what Biden has declared as Domestic Terrorists, you know; white, male, veteran, christian, patriots to care about someone getting scammed on a gun deal.
    If the check was put into the US Postal system, I'd suggest the Postal Inspectors, but they are too busy looking into social media for the above to deal with mail related crime.

My wife did speak with the MSP on this Thursday, sounds like no progress has been made yet. She was told to call back again this coming Wednesday/Thursday. We’ve given the authorities the guys name, address, employer, bank where the check was cashed, and the teller who cashed it. Thus far I’m disappointed with the lack of progress. Thanks.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryani289swmi; 06-26-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update on this. This morning I spoke with an officer in the town where the scammer is from. The officer said he has spoken with the gentleman and the guy is supposedly coming into the police station at 10:00 AM tomorrow to discuss the issue. The officer said he will let me know what happens, he plans to charge the gentleman if he shows up. I’ll post more as I find out, hopefully some sort of good news. Thanks.

Bryan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast