Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me spend my money: M14

Looking at purchasing one and deciding between a few different models. I'll state I'm just looking for a good 300-400yd rifle that I can stick a scope on, don't need a .5 MOA precision rifle. Not really interested in an AR10.

1. Do I just get a standard M1A for roughly $1500 and upgrade as I go if I feel like it?
    2. M1A Loaded Precision for $1850 with the fancy stock/barrel/trigger
    3. Splurge on a Bula Defense DMR rifle with integrated rail, runs about $2600

Would also need to keep in mind for the M1A I'd have to get the scope mount which is another $150 and I've heard mixed things about the Springfield mount that bolts on the side.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

A good AR will shoot 5/600 yards and can give very close to 0.5 MOA with the right ammo.

Now if you just want a change... as far as which model, I’ve always figured it was best to get the one with the features I know I want instead of trying to add them later, unless you prefer specific after market pieces.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    A good AR will shoot 5/600 yards and can give very close to 0.5 MOA with the right ammo.

Now if you just want a change... as far as which model, I’ve always figured it was best to get the one with the features I know I want instead of trying to add them later, unless you prefer specific after market pieces.
    Thanks but specifically said I didn't want an AR10.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

The scope mount has always been the weak link on a M14/M1A if you want to use a scope. If you do, then I'd lean towards the Bula for that reason alone. I had one of the aluminum single screw mounts On my M1A that wasn't very good for repeatability. Also tried one of the mounts that also replaces the charging guide and it worked a little better. Finally ended up with one of the beefy Israeli steel mounts that while it's a single screw type seems to repeat well enough to use for deer hunting or hitting close enough to the target you don't need to zero in each time for at least out to 300yds. The Israeli's got rid of them for their inability to retain a zero reliably, but since I'm not giving them the same rough treatment it has been a good mount for me.

MGO Member
    I'd do the standard and just upgrade as needed. You may get the thing and not end up shooting it much. I know I currently have 2 or 3 m1a's that I've never shot and I've owned others as well that I never shot.

I often times get guns that I think I want/need and I end up shooting them very little or not at all. I have all the parts to build an ar10 that I've never assembled. Maybe I'm not the norm though.

I am a Forum User
    I say Bula for the reason Moleman stated. Have only read about them, have no personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
    I'd do the standard and just upgrade as needed. You may get the thing and not end up shooting it much. I know I currently have 2 or 3 m1a's that I've never shot and I've owned others as well that I never shot.

I often times get guns that I think I want/need and I end up shooting them very little or not at all. I have all the parts to build an ar10 that I've never assembled. Maybe I'm not the norm though.
    Totally normal. I am the same way LOL
    I have an M1A Loaded on its way to me now.

I am a Forum User
    probably too late for my $.02.. not that it'll make any difference... I agree with this,
    " best to get the one with the features I know I want instead of trying to add them later '...my experience is this is a better way to go.

Also, according to your parameters, "just looking for a good 300-400yd rifle that I can stick a scope on.."
    I agree that an Ar 10 is a better way to go ..(acknowledging that sometimes you just HAVE to scratch an itch)
    Better accuracy, easier to add options, less expensive to do any mods + a greater variety of options for whatever you want to change.
    Actually for me, is more enjoyable to shoot.. & I say this after owning an M1A Scout Squad for 10 yrs.. it was my favorite rifle.
    Until I got an Ar-10.. & discovered for my use, I preferred it over the M1A to such a degree that I sold my M1A.
    .something I thought I'd never do..as it was one of my dream list rifles. Enjoy your new M1A..

As long as we are spending your money, the Bula seems the way to go.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Thanks but specifically said I didn't want an AR10.

Actually I was referring to the AR 15 in 5.56. Cheaper ammo and would do what you want and that you were probably already set for what you want to do without going to a 12lb rifle and 30 cal cartridge.
    I agree M1a’s are a great gun and have a bit of “cool” factor too. My thoughts on the choice of model stands, get the one with the options you want.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast