Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Bench shooting on concrete benches... It's like sandpaper!

Yes, I know, concrete is going to be rough, and if you're using it as a bench, it's going to be rough on your skin...

So, in the warmer weather we're moving into, what's a good way (and, low-cost, please) to keep from needing a skin graft after going to the range? I don't generally like long-sleeve shirts, so I don't have any (that aren't dress / work shirts) to wear at the range, I could take along some cardboard to put between my soft, smooth, almost lady-like skin and the harsh, rough, evil concrete.

But, something that might be less of a nuisance to use than trying to set down a piece of cardboard under my elbow and probably the butt rest of the rifle would be nice.

I suppose I could go all tacticool and get some elbow guards...

So, any suggestions from the pros?

Get some discontinued carpet samples.

Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    Get some discontinued carpet samples.
    Don't they sell those 12 x 12 inch carpet squares at Menards? they're like a one or two bucks? I remember seeing them somewhere.
    Last edited by dramey82; 06-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Old blanket or sheet to put over concrete bench?
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    I have a thick old army wool blanket that I put over the concrete bench, folded over a couple times.

The pointy feet of my rest gets a good grip on the concrete through the blanket while the blanket provides a nice surface for my elbows and my chest where it is up against the side of the concrete top.

Carpet square. It takes up little space in my trunk and is always available when needed
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Just another thought, if you have floor mats in your vehicle maybe use one from the front or rear, take out put back as needed.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Similar to the floormat idea, I use a piece of truck bed mat that was trimmed off when I bought a mat that was a trim to fit. The truck bed mat is super thick compared to a floor mat and the feet on my rest have a solid grip with plenty of material to dig into. If I'm shooting off wood benches, I take along a gun cleaning rug, the felt type to lay down for my arms to rest on but not the gun rest.
    Last edited by gman; 06-20-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added to post

MGO Member
    I have an old bath towel I use just under my elbow, you can kind of adjust how high you want it. When it gets dirty or wet just throw in washer.

I am a Forum User
    I have used the gun case if it’s a soft case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast