Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Question about shotgunning with 00 buck

Gun is Rem. 870 cyl. bore . Ammo is federal military 00 buckshot. I was taught to cover the target with the barrel when shooting clay.

Using this method on a B26 target if I aim center center mass I hit head. If I aim at guts I hit center mass. What could I be doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by frank castle View Post
    Gun is Rem. 870 cyl. bore . Ammo is federal military 00 buckshot. I was taught to cover the target with the barrel when shooting clay.

Using this method on a B26 target if I aim center center mass I hit head. If I aim at guts I hit center mass. What could I be doing wrong?
    Use the bead to aim, not the barrel.

The shotgun doesn't fit you. Look into how to fit LOP and DAH to get the gun pointing at the right place when you throw it to your shoulder.
    And as said, use the front bead as the aiming reference point

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Use the bead to aim, not the barrel.
    Yes this, you are basically aiming in the air the way you are shooting. Sight down the receiver to the bead, you want the bead on the proposed point of impact when you pull the trigger.

Basically you want the bead to look like a bb rolling on the top of the receiver.

I am a Forum User
    So The push pull Method wouldn’t Have any affect on the issue ?

So The push pull Method wouldn’t Have any affect on the issue ?
    I dont know that method, and I was the 2003 Oregon State Sporting Clays champion.
    Shotgunning isnt rocket science. There is bead, and lead.

Bead for straight shots, and lead for moving targets.

On a fast climbing straight away bird from a trap house or clay range or possibly #7 & #8 stations on skeet I can’t think of a a shot that requires hiding the bird with the bbl. even then it is a function of lead with the bead as a sight and not a method of aim. Maybe this is what has confused the OP
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    The shotgun doesn't fit you.
    In competitive skeet and sporting clays, this is the #1 reason people miss their targets.

MGO Member
    this sounds like a bad way to teach follow through.

contrary to popular belief, you need to aim a shotgun just like any other rifle. an 870 should have a point of aim/point of impact that are similar. use that front bead on the barrel and aim.

let us know what your next range session looks like.