Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.

Opinion. What to do about flooded ammo?

Like many, I recently experienced a flooded basement. Many cases of rifle, pistol and shotgun shells were drowned in 14" of water. Most of everything was in some type of cardboard box. So those boxes are trash. But what about the ammo itself? Can I successfully dry up the rifle and pistol ammo? What about the shotgun shells? Are those toast? Obviously the question is did the powder get wet. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to waste my time but if it's worth the effort to try to dry it all up, I'll do it. And if they are no good how do I properly dispose of them? I'm not going to put them in the trash or curb side!

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Like many, I recently experienced a flooded basement. Many cases of rifle, pistol and shotgun shells were drowned in 14" of water. Most of everything was in some type of cardboard box. So those boxes are trash. But what about the ammo itself? Can I successfully dry up the rifle and pistol ammo? What about the shotgun shells? Are those toast? Obviously the question is did the powder get wet. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to waste my time but if it's worth the effort to try to dry it all up, I'll do it. And if they are no good how do I properly dispose of them? I'm not going to put them in the trash or curb side!
    The rifle and pistol ammo SHOULD be ok but I wouldn't trust it with my life. The shotshells maybe, maybe not.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Member
    Shot shells are likely toast. Dry out the rifle and pistol ammo and try a few on your next range trip. But as Shyster said I'd relegate any of the flooded ammo to range fodder only just to be safe.

I've used primers that were flooded out and once they dried out they all went bang. As long as the powder is dry you should be gtg. If you're still unsure pull the bullets on a few random rounds after they dry out and check and see if the powder is in fact dry.

MGO Member
    Let me be the first to offer to dispose of all that ruined ammo at no chargexto you.

Just want to help a fellow member out!
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    Most factory new plastic shotshells are sealed. You shouldn't have an issue shooting them.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    So this isn't exactly about your problem, but does offer a little insight into waterlogged ammo via a discussion on shooting underwater.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/gun...-do-they-work/

Then you have this from SAMMI, the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...d-In-Water.pdf

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    Thanks, appreciate the comments. It's been over a week and I'm still working on clean up. Soooooooo much to do! Cardboard gets so slimy when it sits for a while.

I am a Forum User
    set it out in the sun.. on a day like today, it'll dry out quickly.

I believe all of it will function, if allowed to dry. Doubt the water was able to soak into even the shotgun shells,
    if they're old cardboard hulls, & got saturated, may not work..if they're plastic, I believe they'll be fine.
    You do want to get them dry before moisture causes cases to start corroding.

I would be tempted to let it dry out and then store it for several years in a dry area.
    Maybe over time it will be back to normal.