Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

ATF running retroactive NICS background checks on people who used their CCW to purchase firearms

MARTINSBURG, WV –-(Ammoland.com)- AmmoLand News learned through a leaked Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) conference call that the agency is starting to run gun buyers retroactively through the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

In the conference call, the ATF leadership asked its Industry Operations Inspectors (IOI) to collect information on the customers that used concealed carry permits instead of obtaining a background check through the NICS. The purpose of obtaining this information would be to run the customer’s data through the NICS to see if the customer would have received an approved or denied status. In addition, the IOI will pass on the names and information of customers denied by the NICS to the criminal branch for a special agent to follow up.

Some states, such as Alaska, allow gun buyers to use their concealed carry permits to buy a gun instead of being subjected to a background check through NICS. Gun buyers in these states believe that using a concealed carry permit to purchase firearms gives them a level of anonymity that the NICS doesn’t provide.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/07/new...#axzz6zT29wkeg

This is an absolutely pathetic excuse for an article, let alone any semblance of journalism.

No facts, no sources, just blather.

The ATF doesn't get the buyer's info when a CPL is used in lieu of NICS, so please, explain to me how they're running anything "retroactively". They sneaking into my file cabinet when I'm sleeping? Ammoland is full of click bait crap more and more lately.

Quote Originally Posted by bae125 View Post
    This is an absolutely pathetic excuse for an article, let alone any semblance of journalism.

No facts, no sources, just blather.

The ATF doesn't get the buyer's info when a CPL is used in lieu of NICS, so please, explain to me how they're running anything "retroactively". They sneaking into my file cabinet when I'm sleeping? Ammoland is full of click bait crap more and more lately.
    This may answer some of your questions.

https://www.mega.nu/batf/croaker/ind...l#FRANKLINARMS

MGO Member
    Well we stopped here in Mich march 4 2020 after a lot of years are they going to make me go back and process all if those thousands of forms ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    This may answer some of your questions.

https://www.mega.nu/batf/croaker/ind...l#FRANKLINARMS
    Blog is dated September 10, 1993
    So this "information" is from Blll Clinton's time

Quote Originally Posted by jeff s View Post
    Blog is dated September 10, 1993
    So this "information" is from Blll Clinton's time
    I think posting the story in the blog was meant to explain how ATF could get info on who might have bought guns with CPLs instead of NICS checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think posting the story in the blog was meant to explain how ATF could get info on who might have bought guns with CPLs instead of NICS checks.
    Bingo!

MGO Member
    I think this is just a hype article. As others have stated nothing to support and I haven't heard anything from other dealers.

The only real way for them to do this would be during inspections and they would have to record all of the information which would be very time consuming for little little progress, if any.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    MARTINSBURG, WV –-(Ammoland.com)- AmmoLand News learned through a leaked Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) conference call that the agency is starting to run gun buyers retroactively through the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

In the conference call, the ATF leadership asked its Industry Operations Inspectors (IOI) to collect information on the customers that used concealed carry permits instead of obtaining a background check through the NICS. The purpose of obtaining this information would be to run the customer’s data through the NICS to see if the customer would have received an approved or denied status. In addition, the IOI will pass on the names and information of customers denied by the NICS to the criminal branch for a special agent to follow up.

Some states, such as Alaska, allow gun buyers to use their concealed carry permits to buy a gun instead of being subjected to a background check through NICS. Gun buyers in these states believe that using a concealed carry permit to purchase firearms gives them a level of anonymity that the NICS doesn’t provide.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/07/new...#axzz6zT29wkeg
    That article can't even get basic facts correct: "Before the new policy, the only time the government would know a person bought a gun is when the FFL goes out of business, a trace request is submitted, or the customer buys multiple handguns within a seven-day period."

Wrong and wrong. First, they know a person "bought a gun" (firearm) because we're running a background check on them. They just don't know WHAT SPECIFIC and/or HOW MANY firearms were purchased. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to run one.. Second, it's multiple handguns in a five business day period, NOT a seven-day period. They could also find out during an inspection.

And I don't know a single CPL holder who thought that "... using a concealed carry permit to purchase firearms gives them a level of anonymity that the NICS doesn’t provide.: That's just ig-nut.

Pointless info. How or why would they want to check millions of people who use their permit to buy a firearm... One, they have been B.C to get the permit.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast