Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Night vision question

Thanks for help
    Last edited by buckpula; 09-25-2021 at 02:33 PM.

You should try some of the new digital NV. ATN day/night scopes are $600 and up. Sionyx has a monocular that is very good for the $600-700 that they cost. Way better than gen 1 or 2 NV.

I have a Gen 3 scope system from ATN, 6x, big & heavy. Cost $3800 when I bought it. Works great if there is no cloud and a bit of moon. Full moon is like daylight of course. But remember if what you are looking for is very well camouflaged it is still going to be hard to see. Same if it is hiding in shadows. But the main limitation is that you can easily damage the light intensifier tube if viewing a bright light at night or accidentally turning it on in daylight without the protective cap installed. So definitely not foolproof, not something you want to loan to your friend unless you know he is good for the replacement cost if he screws up...

Thermal is the best for showing living things regardless of fog, smoke, brush day/night etc. Still quite expensive, especially if you want a bit of resolution. And can be used day or night without limitation. Beware that ordinary glass will significantly absorb IR light thus impact your ability to see anything through a closed window. This impacts thermal and regular NV. Thermal maybe more. I have seen a youtube video of a guy hiding behind a large pane of glass and he is invisible to the thermal system.

Spend your money, take your choices....

Account Closed Forum User
    Any questions you have Tactical night vision can help you. They have a lot of information on their website.

https://tnvc.com/technology/

MGO Member
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by buckpula; 09-25-2021 at 02:33 PM.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/main.sc

Very knowledgeable and willing to help...

TNVC helped me out a lot with my first purchase.
    Ordered back in Feb, should have them by Sept (yeah, there is a long wait for the DTNVS).
    You can also reach them via FaceBook messenger if you're so inclined. Or call them. They will geek out on the stuff and let you know exactly what will be the best fit depending on what you're wanting them to do and your budget.
    As for budget... they aren't cheap. At all. A setup, like an ANPVS 7, you're going to push the $4k range new for a nicer set. But you can usually find used ones in your range on Arfcom or get entry level ones for around $2,800. Also, don't forget you'll want to figure in a bump helmet with a mount or some other way of wearing them (the old school straps on the head are a serious PITA and uncomfortable as all get-out).
    White vs Green- I went white after trying out a few sets at night shoots. I used green in the Army a lot and I started to get minor headaches after a couple hours of continuous use. Can have some strain on your eyes. WP not so much. Some shadowing issues that I found in green that are cleared up by white as well. Mostly for things like holes in the ground/ditches and such.
    I've been told there is a difference in resolution with white being better, but I never noticed it. Current gen of green is really good, so maybe my eyes just aren't as attuned as others.

i would suggest taking an intro nv course and renting a device. this will allow you to use the technology and see what others are using. you want binos, but you may find that a mono works better for you, or that binos truly are the way.

i would avoid digital, and stick to modern autogated gen 3. photonos echo gen 2+ tubes are quite capable, but they arent really cheap, and the minimal difference in price is better spent with gen 3.

there isnt really a whole lot of nv in michigan, since we dont have the pigs like down south, but therehave been some nv classes semi local in the past year or so. ar15.com has a fairly active nv forum and there are also facebook groups that are active.

as mentioned, tnvc can answer most of your questions and will support you before, during, and after the sale. there are quite a few reputable vendors, but not much local, unfortunately.

wp/green is mostly personal pref. i wouldnt pay extra for white.
    2-3k budget? sorta low for duals, but you can get a nice pvs14 for 3k. kosher surplus had agm bnvd40's with gen 3 tubes for 3600. that housing is just ok and i would want to know warranty on the tubes, but the price is low for duals.

nv is truly a super power. i was hooked the first time i tried it.
    Own it. Respect It. Secure it.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

MGO Member
    Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by buckpula; 09-25-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Just got my DTNVS delivered after almost 10 months wait.
    As was mentioned above- they give are a super power. I've been a kid in a candy store walking around my house and neighborhood at night wearing them.
    Looking forward to a shoothouse soon. 10 out of 10 so far.