Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Roger Old Army Value

I have a beautiful Ruger Old Army in polished stainless steel finish.

It is .45 caliber black powder revolver with 7 inch barrel and has never been fired. It is in a clear Ruger plastic bag in it's original Ruger Box which is in the original shipping box with the owners manual and all are in good condition.

Im pretty sure I purchased it back in the 1990's

I was just wondering if someone might know if it has any value as a collectable.

MGO Member

The Ruger Old Army is a tank of a BP pistol. They’re quite desirable for those that are into shooting a lot of BP and don’t necessarily want a reproduction. They do command a premium these days.

MGO Member
    Price depend where you want to try to sell ....put it on MGO you might get $900 you just need to wait until the right buyer wants it might take a long time or not at all....everyone on MGO will try to beat you up on the price that's a fact....GunBroker you put to high of a price you might never get a bid ..... you do need to pay a commission and buyer or you needs to pay shipping....
    It all depends if you need the money or want to use the money to buy something else....there's not very many people that don't care what something cost they just want it....
    All you can do is look at what exactly the same has sold for and price it very close and hope you can do the same.....nobody going to offer you more....

I am a Forum User
    The 2 posted links are way high on the spectrum. One of the links comes with 2 extra cylinders and each if those are 350$ or so. A realistic price us around 700 dollars but i have seen a few of them sitting for months to years at that price. I got one new and unfired for 200 just a month ago. Not many people "need" any black powder pistols andyou can buy a brand spankin new pietta at cabellas for 300 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by 1baddude View Post
    The 2 posted links are way high on the spectrum. One of the links comes with 2 extra cylinders and each if those are 350$ or so. A realistic price us around 700 dollars but i have seen a few of them sitting for months to years at that price. I got one new and unfired for 200 just a month ago. Not many people "need" any black powder pistols andyou can buy a brand spankin new pietta at cabellas for 300 out the door.
    You’re not wrong about Pietta’s. My 1851 was a whopping $125 new. But you can’t feed it a steady diet of warm loads, let alone the 50 grain loads the Old Army can tolerate on a regular basis. My 1851 recommends 24 grains.

‘ It is safe to use as much Black Powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for the bullet.“ - Ruger Old Army manual.

The only BP revolver I have that I would trust that charge in is my Walker....but it’s a pig. (Not that using that much gains you anything anyway). For heavy regular use, not much can beat a ROA. They’re worth the $700-$900 they go for if you plan on doing a lot of shooting or competition. You just have to find the rare buyer that is in need of one.

I am a Forum User
    So we agree the price is around 700 but the links were way above at 1400.

OP…if you are the original owner and the condition you have described is accurate something over $1,000 should be achievable on Gunbroker. I base that on auctions I have witnessed and personally bid on in addition to the examples cited above. That is making the assumption that you are familiar with Gunbroker and can post a good collection of pictures and write up an accurate selling description. For a variety of reasons, ROA’s seem to be in high demand and people are willing to pay for them. If a simple sale is desired, prices in the $700+ should be attainable here in MGO IMHO. Personally, if I had one in the condition you describe, I wouldn’t think of letting it go for less.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks everyone,

I had looked up on several websites on the current selling price for a Ruger Old Army but wasn't sure if they were going for the same here in Michigan so this is why I made this post.

I didn't know that there was a .45 long colt conversion cylinder

I'm leaning toward selling the Ruger Old Army because I will probably never get around to using it. I had the intention of using it for Deer hunting but never did because I quit hunting during BP Season because I hated the colder weather. So it has sat unused since 1994.

If I ever figure out how to upload pictures I'll probably post it in the Handgun Forsale section.