Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Smith &Wesson Model 29-2 value

Hello everyone.

I have a Blued S&W Model 29-2 with a 8 3/8" barrel the serial number S2497XX then what appears to be O1.25-2 right below the serial number on the inside of the crane.

I purchased this used black in the late 1990's Originally when I purchased it it had a large old style Red Dot scope. I had to order a rear sight from S&W because it was no longer with the revolver and in it's place was what appeared to be a machined weaver type base that fit it into the slot that the rear sight sat in and the red dot scope rings attached to it. I'm not sure if I still have this set up, as I said it was an older much larger red dot scope compared to what is available today and I really had no use for it , but as I am a pack rat I'm sure I have it somewhere.

I was told by the gun shop owner that the revolver was made around 1968 and the previous owner had used it for competition shooting, bowling pin matches I believe. I haven't found a website that has information on serial numbers and dates of manufacturing other then the S&W offering that you pay for a letter from their archives.

It's action is very smooth and the trigger breaks like glass. I have put less then 150 rounds through it since I purchased it. I have a 6 inch nickel plated model 29 that has been Magna Ported. The barrel being 2 3/8" shorter would make you think the recoil would be greater but the felt recoil and muzzle flip was so much less then that of the 8 3/8" I prefer shooting the 6 inch model even though cleaning the polished nickel takes more time.

I'm curious if anyone knows what the blued model 29 in 8 3/8" barrel are currently going for or what the trade value would be.

I have pictures and would have included a few but I'm not familiar with posting images here, I'll try to find out how to do that and come back and post some. I have another thread on a Ruger Old Army and will post some pictures of it too.

Thanks everyone.

I have e-mailed S & W customer service and they supplied a date of manufacture over night at no cost. Knowing that would help.

Also if you have the box the gun came it would increase the value a bit.

The recoil difference you noted is probably due to the ported barrel. I have had guns Magna-ported.... and it works.

Mark

MGO Member
    I'm not sure of the condition of your 1964 S-prefix 29-2, but if it is anywhere near excellent used, it would bring a minimum of $1500.
    Might bring more at a no reserve auction.
    The original target grips that came with them in that year, bring over $200.

Just my opinion....but I wouldn't think of selling either of the revolvers you asked about. They don't make them anymore, they don't cost anything to keep and they increase in value every year.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    Have you checked on Gunbroker ? Usually a place where you can get an idea of what others are asking for their guns.
    I believe you can also find what guns sold for on that site as well, I just haven't taken the time to figure how to do that, yet.

MGO Member
    Register with GB, go to advanced search, click on completed items, type in what you are looking for. You will get a list of recently completed sales, and what they sold for.
    You can search for firearms, gun parts and accessories, or anything on their site.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't use this service, I've never received an unwanted email from them.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    . Thanks, john.41 for the detailed explanation

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for your reply.

I had looked up the selling prices for a S&W model 29-2 on several auction websites and forums but the amounts these were currently selling for kind of caught me by surprise and I really didn't believe what I was seeing.

I wasn't sure if they were selling for the same here in Michigan so I thought I would ask here.

The only reason I was interested in the current selling price was due to a friend of mine asking if I still had it and if I was planning on selling it any time soon. I have collected firearms for many years, not only for Hunting but for target shooting and home defense and also for investment.

I became ill a few years back. I hunted a lot and I went to the range once a week and I also did a lot of shooting on the weekends whenever I went north to my cabin. A friend and I decided to get into reloading as a way to not only save a little money but to taylor loads to our firearms. It wasn't long before we realized we were actually spending more because we were shooting more but the advantage of reloading individual calibers to achieve better grouping in each of our firearms made it all worth it. But after I became ill I was unable to shoot as much and my firearm collection just collected dust. I started selling off some of the ones I had used very little or no longer needed. I kept the ones I thought I would be able to use if my health had improved.
    My favorite pistol is the 1911 style and I have built up and or modified a lot of stock pieces over many years. I would fix or smooth out actions and upgrade guns for myself and my buddies along with reloading for them and myself, but as my illness has become more debilitating I have to pretty much stopped doing anything firearm related. It's been tough not to be able to enjoy a hobby I have had for years and it has been difficult to sell some of my collection. I can say that most were sold to friends and knowing that helps in a way.

But I am thinking that now maybe time to part with the model 29, I cannot see myself using it for hunting or target practice plus I still have the 6 inch model.

You wrote 1964 as a date of manufacture, is this the date you got from personal knowledge of the serial numbers or is it based on the "S" before the numbers in the serial. I thought the gentleman I purchased it from said it was manufactured in 1968 but I may be mistaken, it was back in the late 90's that I purchased the gun and as I said in my post I had to order a rear sight from S&W because it had a red dot mounted to it and there was no rear sight with the gun. Also there wasn't a factory box or anything else with the gun just a soft side case. I was told that the gentleman who owned it was into competition shooting, (bowling pin) but had decided to retire and this was the reason for selling it.
    As I said in my post I could not find a way to date it based on the serial number online. I think I'll try emailing S&W for the information as someone had posted here unless you already looked it up.

You are probably right about holding on to the gun because it will probably get more valuable as the years pass. I know that S&W are offering a 29 out of their custom shop and a buddy has one he bought new a couple years ago. I will say this, my old 29 has a better fit and finish and has a better trigger action then his newer one. In my opinion the fit and finish are not what they use to be. His brother has a 629 N Frame with a lightweight cylinder and a matte finish that in my opinion makes the gun look terrible. But to each his own.

If I can ever figure out how to post images here I will put up some pictures. But as appearances go its in really nice shape. It has some minor blueing wear on the very end of the muzzle that you have to look for to see it. There is some other minor blueing wear on some of the sharp edges, again not easy to see. The grip panels are original but appear to have had a coat of gloss finish applied. The only thing I can say that is a little odd is that the rear sight S&W sent me has two screw holes for mounting but the top strap has only one hole for mounting the rear sight. So when you look,at the top strap you see a empty screw hole through the sight only. They never did tell me why the sight came with an additional mounting hole.

Thanks again for your reply