Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

1911 commander 9mm advice

I’m thinking of trying/buying a first 1911 commander in 9mm for range use. I’m a striker poly guy.
    Any recommendations or bad experiences with Kimber and Springfield models meeting my list? Years ago RIA made a midsized 4” tac ultra MS 9mm that was exactly what I was looking - but it’s discontinued.

My must have’s:
    - tolerant of my in-spec reloads (no ridiculously tight match chamber)
    -9mm
    -commander sized
    -fiber optic front preferred
    -under 1k likely

I am a Forum User
    I like 1911's in 9mm caliber ( 9mm is inexpensive, plentiful, an easy to shoot caliber)..& in Commander size , should be the perfect combination.
    I have a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm.. https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian-2/
    It is a rather expensive, somewhat hard to find pistol.. MSRP is $1,586 ..if you can find one for sale.
    Quality materials & workmanship costs.

Though many like the light weight of an aluminum frame, for ease/ comfort of carry, I've discovered I do not.
    I like / prefer the heft of a SS or at least steel frame. I've shot a variety of factory ammo, + my hand loads w/o any issues.
    Though it may be out of your price range, I would sell mine for $ 1250.00 / my firm price.
    Mine is in like new condition, includes factory case, & 2 mags. My pistol doesn't have night sights, but has a fiber optic front sight.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
    I’m thinking of trying/buying a first 1911 commander in 9mm for range use. I’m a striker poly guy.
    Any recommendations or bad experiences with Kimber and Springfield models meeting my list? Years ago RIA made a midsized 4” tac ultra MS 9mm that was exactly what I was looking - but it’s discontinued.

My must have’s:
    - tolerant of my in-spec reloads (no ridiculously tight match chamber)
    -9mm
    -commander sized
    -fiber optic front preferred
    -under 1k likely
    look for a tisas commander in 9mm. It meets your list except for the fiber optic front sight. They run around $500 so for $40 you can buy a FO front sight from Dawson..
    something like this ...
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/zigana-tisas-1911-9mm/
    Another more expensive option is Ruger commander in 9mm

I am a Forum User
    I’ve had a Springfield Range Officer Elite Champion in 9mm for a couple years. I’m up to about 6000 rounds all my reloads with no issues.
    I could not ask for more, accurate, shoots everything I’ve fed it.

Jeff

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    I bought a Kimber Pro-Carry II new in late 2019 a couple of years ago for around $700. I like it a lot - I used it in league competition until Covid hit and I'm waiting for a new league to start up. It is alloy frame so it is pretty light. It is not my carry gun - I carry only striker-fire pistols - but it is very reliable. No fiber optic on mine. BTW, it comes with 9-rd magazines but Mec-Gar has 10 rounders that are cheaper and work perfectly if you decide to go that direction.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

MGO Member
    Have a full sized Les Baer in .45ACP it's a amazing gun but when I wanted a 9mm 1911 format I bought a SA 9mm EMP Contour carry. The EMP is one of the last guns I'll ever get rid of!

I am a Forum User
    Out of the 2 companies you listed I would choose Springfield every time. The Range officer is a nice entry level 1911.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Springfield Range Officer Elite in the Champuon size, I think it's a commander slide with a full size grip. Absolutely love it, shoots amazing, very accurate.
    Last edited by Blue XJ; 10-01-2021 at 12:52 PM.

MGO Member
    My Springfield RO Compact (Commander slide / Officer frame) has a very tight chamber. I have to use the barrel to chamber gauge reloads for it. 99% of the rejects from the barrel drop onto my Dillon gauge, and run fine in all my other 9mm guns.

I’ve both a full size Kimber & a full size Springfield RO Elite and would not bat an eye at buying a commander size gun from either.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast