Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

1911 commander 9mm advice

I’m thinking of trying/buying a first 1911 commander in 9mm for range use. I’m a striker poly guy.
    Any recommendations or bad experiences with Kimber and Springfield models meeting my list? Years ago RIA made a midsized 4” tac ultra MS 9mm that was exactly what I was looking - but it’s discontinued.

My must have’s:
    - tolerant of my in-spec reloads (no ridiculously tight match chamber)
    -9mm
    -commander sized
    -fiber optic front preferred
    -under 1k likely

I am a Forum User
    I like 1911's in 9mm caliber ( 9mm is inexpensive, plentiful, an easy to shoot caliber)..& in Commander size , should be the perfect combination.
    I have a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm.. https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian-2/
    It is a rather expensive, somewhat hard to find pistol.. MSRP is $1,586 ..if you can find one for sale.
    Quality materials & workmanship costs.

Though many like the light weight of an aluminum frame, for ease/ comfort of carry, I've discovered I do not.
    I like / prefer the heft of a SS or at least steel frame. I've shot a variety of factory ammo, + my hand loads w/o any issues.
    Though it may be out of your price range, I would sell mine for $ 1250.00 / my firm price.
    Mine is in like new condition, includes factory case, & 2 mags. My pistol doesn't have night sights, but has a fiber optic front sight.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
    I’m thinking of trying/buying a first 1911 commander in 9mm for range use. I’m a striker poly guy.
    Any recommendations or bad experiences with Kimber and Springfield models meeting my list? Years ago RIA made a midsized 4” tac ultra MS 9mm that was exactly what I was looking - but it’s discontinued.

My must have’s:
    - tolerant of my in-spec reloads (no ridiculously tight match chamber)
    -9mm
    -commander sized
    -fiber optic front preferred
    -under 1k likely
    look for a tisas commander in 9mm. It meets your list except for the fiber optic front sight. They run around $500 so for $40 you can buy a FO front sight from Dawson..
    something like this ...
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/zigana-tisas-1911-9mm/
    Another more expensive option is Ruger commander in 9mm

I am a Forum User
    I’ve had a Springfield Range Officer Elite Champion in 9mm for a couple years. I’m up to about 6000 rounds all my reloads with no issues.
    I could not ask for more, accurate, shoots everything I’ve fed it.

Jeff

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    look for a tisas commander in 9mm. It meets your list except for the fiber optic front sight. They run around $500 so for $40 you can buy a FO front sight from Dawson..
    something like this ...
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/zigana-tisas-1911-9mm/
    Another more expensive option is Ruger commander in 9mm
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/...-4-4-inch.html

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the link!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
    Thanks for the link!
    I have a similar gun in 45 acp. The only change I did was replacing the plastic slippery grips with rubber palm swell grips and polishing the internals. Love that commander 1911.

here is a link of me shooting the commander in 45acp:

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    I have a similar gun in 45 acp. The only change I did was replacing the plastic slippery grips with rubber palm swell grips and polishing the internals. Love that commander 1911.

here is a link of me shooting the commander in 45acp:

Where are the 2 liters and gong??

good shootin’
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Jim I've been holding out hoping to find a used stainless version like you first linked with no luck for two months since they either don't make or import them anymore? I may have to compromise and give up on stainless - the cash is burning a hole waiting. I'm a few years late to the party again I guess.

I would consider some moderately more $ domestic options, but Commander and steel frame is slightly less common combo I'm learning?

Why not build your own? I went with a kit (based on advice from a fellow MGO member) from Fusion Firearms. You can pretty much spec out what you want, and, if I were to order from them again, I would put better sights on the pistol and have them sight them in prior to shipping. Assembly can be a bit more challenging, but I found someone I trusted who knew the 1911. The slide-to-frame fit was excellent, and minimal use of a stone when fitting the hammer/hammer strut and sear. I did polish the trigger bow and mainspring, but that is optional.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast