Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vacation in the UP what to do where to stay?

I would like to take a week and sight see in the UP. What are some suggested places to go? Suggestions on logging would be grate also. No real plans but would like to get some recomendations?

MGO Member
    Sorry - not in any particular order.

Brockway Mountain Lookout
    Copper Harbor
    Canyon Falls
    Fayette Historic State Park
    Kitch-iti-kipi
    Lake of the Clouds
    Pictured Rocks
    Miners Castle Point
    Presque Isle
    Tahquamenon Falls State Park
    Thomas Rock Scenic Overlook

Keweenaw peninsula is cool for history of copper mining . Take a metal detector is you can. If not just a small shovel to dig in the old poor rock piles for small copper bits. I think the cliff view inn has some old cabins for rent. Nothing special.

MGO Member
    I always thought the Soo Locks was interesting.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    On the way to the U.P., I'd suggesting making a pass thru the "Tunnel of Trees"
    https://mynorth.com/2017/05/guide-to...rees-on-m-119/
    If you haven't driven / ridden on it before.

One of Mich.'s best motorcycle rides..nice in a car as well.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

Excellent suggestion. Lunch along the way at Legs Inn on M-119 is always good.

MGO Board of Directors

Whitefish Point Museum.
    Valley Camp museum ship by the Soo Locks.
    any of the copper or ore mine tours is also interesting
    For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Member, MOC Member.

MGO Member
    Nice rest stop on US 2 Cut river Bridge west of St. Ignace, if you go to Munising take swing up to M28 across. On the way to to town you pass Miner's Castle and falls, there are numerous falls in this area that are not as touristy as Tahquamenon falls, a lot less crowded. Se Check the video link on my previous post The edge.
    Last edited by ppruchnicki1; 07-18-2021 at 10:24 AM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

Tunnel of the trees is a great place to see but from my experience NEVER rent a house(we stayed 1 week) on this route.Non stop motorcycles and rice burners racing up and down this stretch of road.. Coppers peak ski lift, lake of the clouds,pictured rocks to name a few to go see.

I just got back from 10 days in the Western U.P.

Go see Bond Falls. I like them better than Tahquamenon falls.

Take the drive up to the top of Mt. Arvon, the highest point in Michigan. We saw a bear standing in one of the two-tracks off the main trial to the top. Also had one run across the road in front of me between Seney and Shingleton yesterday. I had to brake pretty hard to keep from hitting it. Both sightings were in the middle of the day.

Go to the Porqupine Mts and spend a couple days exploring the area. Lots of water falls there too.

Go to the top of Brockway Mountain but avoid getting on the western end of Brockway Mountain drive. The road is in terrible condition. Instead, get off US-41 and take the scenic drive from Eagle river up to Copper Harbor then get on the East end of Brockway Mountain drive and take that to the top. When you leave Copper harbor and head south a few miles on US-41, turn onto Lac La Belle Rd and follow it down to the eastern side of the Keweenaw and eventually back into Lake Linden and Hancock, MI.

There hasn't been a lot of rain up there so the bugs aren't bad at all, I never had to use bug spray. Some of the smaller waterfalls are just a little trickle of water but the larger falls are still nice to see.

Find a beach to look for agates, I found a half dozen and so did my wife. It takes a little bit to find your very first one but after that you'll know what to look for and they come a lot easier.

Take time to walk along the waterfront in Houghton.

Another vote for going to the top of the ski lift at Copper Peak near Iron Wood.

While near Ironwood go to the western most point of the U.P. and see Superior falls and watch the sunset from the beach at the mouth of the Montreal River. Throw a rock across the river into WI for S&G. Cross the river into WI and take WI Co. Rd. 122 back down to US-2 and back into Ironwood. There's some really nice looking farmland in that area.

Lots of places to stop and have a picnic lunch along the Lake Superior shoreline too.

Most of the places aren't really busy right now so the crowds are small.

We saw license plates from 40 different states during our trip. Lots of WI and MN.

Don't let your gas tank get below half full. Sometimes there are long distances between places that have gas.

If you go up M-26 toward Houghton be sure to stop and buy pasties from Krupp's store near Twin Lakes State Park. The best pasties in the U.P.!
    Last edited by ih772; 07-18-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast