Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Iver Johnson break top revolver

I Did a little research on this and it looks like since there are no caliber markings on the left side of the barrel, it cannot be used with modern smokeless powder ammunition. Beyond that I can't find much. I would like to buy this to display but I have no idea what a fair price for this would be. Any info on history and price would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Seriel number is M35*
    Attached Images Attached Images

MGO Member
    Unless the market for these old IJ has skyrocketed, I used to sell guns like that in similar condition $40-$80. Most of the finish appears to be gone, and they are not very safe to shoot even with period correct ammo.

I had virtually the identical gun. I picked it up at a garage sale for like $20 back in the 80s. Mine was mechanically unsafe. Cock it and if you jarred it... the hammer would drop.

When I moved to MI The sheriff's department would not take the gun for disposal unless I registered it first... then took it in. I went to the MSP. They took the gun and said it would be melted down.

I personally wouldn't want that gun because of the registration issues... and should it get into the wrong hands "someone" might try to shoot it.

Mark

I am a Forum User
    Thanks guys!

I am a Forum User
    Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works, maker of guns, bicycles and baby buggies.

The handguns were affectionately referred to as "owl heads"...LOL Have a few shotguns and still have a 38 spl. Never fired the 38, should give it a try and see if I survive...LOL

I believe most of these old Iver Johnson and H&R break actions were originally designed around black powder and probably should not be fired with modern smokeless ammunition. My father had a old well worn Iver Johnson "Safety Revolver" in 32 cal. that was handed down to him from his father who carried it daily according to my dad in his coat pocket to and from work (~5-6 mile walk he never own a car).
    Good protection for a little Irishman back then I guess.
    Dad had it "checked out" by a smith once and was told it was not meant for todays ammo and to never fire it even with BP. I'm not sure what ever happened to it from that point, the last I saw of it I was a teen.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I used to get these through the FFL I used to work at quite a bit in the 2010’s. None that I remember ever were mechanically sound. Even the ones with decent finish left on them never sold for more than $100, and they sat for a long time. Worn finish guns usually sold for around $60-$80.