Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Pistol grip rifle

I've looked around and couldn't get a good answer. I'm looking to get a GSG-16. What I wasn't too sure about was the legal age to buy this rifle since it has a pistol grip.

I am a Forum User
    18 and up, as it's a rifle. I have one left in stock of you're interested.

I am a Forum User
    Don't confuse an AR-style "pistol grip" on a rifle with a "pistol grip firearm" such as the Mossberg 590 Shockwave. Rifles 18+, PGF 21+.

That must be what I'm confusing then. How would you describe it then? The difference between those two.

Even if I was talking about a AR-style shotgun with both the pistol grip( which is what I'm confusing) as well as a shoulder stock. Would that then be considered as "other" in terms of legal firearm purchases?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by austinstamm View Post
    Even if I was talking about a AR-style shotgun with both the pistol grip( which is what I'm confusing) as well as a shoulder stock. Would that then be considered as "other" in terms of legal firearm purchases?
    No, that's still a long gun and is treated as such because it has a stock meaning it's designed to fire from the shoulder. The pistol grip is just an add on. A pistol grip firearm is not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

https://www.mossberg.com/defining-a-shotgun/

“Pistol Grip Firearms”
    Pistol Grip Firearms (PGF), or “pistol grip only” firearms as they are sometimes called, are another category of non-shotgun “shotguns.” This category includes firearms that have a smooth barrel, are more than 26 inches in overall length, but don’t have a buttstock and therefore can’t be shotguns. They aren’t really handguns either. Instead, the ATF has created this middle-ground category for firearms that are long enough to be a shotgun but don’t have buttstocks.

The good news is that PGFs, unlike AOWs, are standard firearms that don’t have all of the extra restrictions of NFA firearms. This is true even if the PGF has a barrel shorter than 18 inches as long as the overall length is over 26 inches. It can’t be an SBS because, without a buttstock, it isn’t a shotgun. And, because it is over 26 inches, it isn’t a handgun nor is it “readily concealable” so it isn’t an AOW.

It can be tricky to make your own PGF at home – especially if you intend to have a PGF with a barrel length under 18 inches. In order for a PGF with a barrel shorter than 18 inches to be legal, it must have been assembled from a receiver that never had a buttstock attached and it must still be longer than 26 inches in overall length. If the firearm receiver was ever assembled with a buttstock then it was a shotgun at some point and the short barrel would create an SBS, even if the overall length was over 26 inches. Instead, your best bet is to purchase one of Mossberg’s 500 or 590 PGFs that come from the factory without buttstocks.
    PGFs are 21 and up.

Thats what I didn't understand at first. Thank you. It makes more sense now that I have the whole idea of it