Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Bullseye

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Bullseye

Have never shot competitive before. Have recently begun doing more shooting as I joined the local club. They have a Bullseye group (league,I guess).

I own a Browning Buckmark and like it very much. My groups are respectable. However, I was shooting a friends Ruger Mark IV a few days back and it was really speaking to me.

I know I would be welcome to join the Bullseye group immediately and may well do so. But, now I have caught that dratted gear acquisition syndrome over that Ruger. And, have been researching that model lots.

I have narrowed my search (in this tight and crazy market) to the Mark II and the Mark IV. Is there a particular series and/or model that would be your preference. Want to make sure that I am narrowing my search appropriately.

Thanks

MGO Member
    Having owned both a mk2 target(5 1/2 bull barrel) and a mk4 Target, same barrel configuration, I would recommend the mk4. Accuracy was comparable between the two, but if you are shooting a league you will be cleaning your firearm more often. The ease of field stripping the mk4 will be a major convenience when cleaning on a regular basis.

Good Pint

Quote Originally Posted by Model12gunner View Post
    Having owned both a mk2 target(5 1/2 bull barrel) and a mk4 Target, same barrel configuration, I would recommend the mk4. Accuracy was comparable between the two, but if you are shooting a league you will be cleaning your firearm more often. The ease of field stripping the mk4 will be a major convenience when cleaning on a regular basis.

Good point. Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    Hi Frjeff:

Either the Mk II or the Mk IV will serve your purpose well as a beginning bullseye shooter. Actually the buckmark is a respectable pistol as well. You might want to consider the Volksquartzen trigger for either pistol, but be wary of making too many improvements to the Ruger. it is easy to sink $1,000.00 bucks of upgrade into a Ruger and you end up with a $500.00 gun that you have more then $1,400.00 invested in.

What you should invest in is a good tube style red dot. There are a number of models out there that will work, and a lot more out there that are simply junk. The Aimpoint micro red dot is considered the best but it is very pricey at over $400.00. The Sig Sauer Romeo 5 is good as is most of the Holosun red dots. Most competitors prefer a red dot with a rotary brightness dial as opposed to the push button operations. The push buttons are too easy to turn off by mistake when you are trying to adjust the brightness between strings. Of particular interest, see if you can find the Sig Sauer STS 081 red dot. It is discontinued but available sometimes on EBAY. The old standard of Ultra Dot red dot sights are still good although they do have a slight negative magnification which drives some people nuts. If you get a good red dot, it will easily transfer to your next pistol as you move up the food chain.

What ever you do with the red dot, do not buy a cheap over the counter piece of Chinese junk at the local big box store. I have a couple extra red dots that I loan out to newbies when they show up with a new pistol and the bottom of the line red dot. The cheap ones simply will not work, their zeroing adjustments are not consistent or repeatable and they have too much slop.

For what it is worth, I have been shooting bullseye for decades, have a Master rating, and my primary competition gun is a Pardini SP New Bullseye with a Trijicon SRO (? might be a MRO) red dot. Friday I shot 1127 in our 1200 point match down in Ann Arbor. I also have a FWB AW 093, a Browning Medalist, a couple of Model 41's, and a couple of S&W revolvers as backups (as if I need a back up with the Pardini) and that I also loan out to newbies when they have a want to try a new gun. When I lived in Lansing, I was Captain of the CCRC Pistol team, and still shoot with them periodically.

Let me know if you are ever down towards the Pinckney area, would love to take you out to the range and give you the opportunity to shoot some high quality target pistols.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    Hey Frjeff:

Make sure you check out the bullseye l forums:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/search?search_id=newposts

Also might want to check out my team's web page:

www.weebley.ccrcpistolteam.com

There is some good recommendations on the CCRC webpage, especially the page "How to shoot good". I have received compliments from every continent for that page alone.

REgards,
    Crankster

Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Hi Frjeff:

Either the Mk II or the Mk IV will serve your purpose well as a beginning bullseye shooter. Actually the buckmark is a respectable pistol as well. You might want to consider the Volksquartzen trigger for either pistol, but be wary of making too many improvements to the Ruger. it is easy to sink $1,000.00 bucks of upgrade into a Ruger and you end up with a $500.00 gun that you have more then $1,400.00 invested in.

What you should invest in is a good tube style red dot. There are a number of models out there that will work, and a lot more out there that are simply junk. The Aimpoint micro red dot is considered the best but it is very pricey at over $400.00. The Sig Sauer Romeo 5 is good as is most of the Holosun red dots. Most competitors prefer a red dot with a rotary brightness dial as opposed to the push button operations. The push buttons are too easy to turn off by mistake when you are trying to adjust the brightness between strings. Of particular interest, see if you can find the Sig Sauer STS 081 red dot. It is discontinued but available sometimes on EBAY. The old standard of Ultra Dot red dot sights are still good although they do have a slight negative magnification which drives some people nuts. If you get a good red dot, it will easily transfer to your next pistol as you move up the food chain.

What ever you do with the red dot, do not buy a cheap over the counter piece of Chinese junk at the local big box store. I have a couple extra red dots that I loan out to newbies when they show up with a new pistol and the bottom of the line red dot. The cheap ones simply will not work, their zeroing adjustments are not consistent or repeatable and they have too much slop.

For what it is worth, I have been shooting bullseye for decades, have a Master rating, and my primary competition gun is a Pardini SP New Bullseye with a Trijicon SRO (? might be a MRO) red dot. Friday I shot 1127 in our 1200 point match down in Ann Arbor. I also have a FWB AW 093, a Browning Medalist, a couple of Model 41's, and a couple of S&W revolvers as backups (as if I need a back up with the Pardini) and that I also loan out to newbies when they have a want to try a new gun. When I lived in Lansing, I was Captain of the CCRC Pistol team, and still shoot with them periodically.

Let me know if you are ever down towards the Pinckney area, would love to take you out to the range and give you the opportunity to shoot some high quality target pistols.

Regards,
    Crankster
    Excellent info. Thank you kindly. Right now I am somewhat holding back until I see if the eye doctor folks can get my diagnosed astigmatism worked out. began getting multiple red eye dots and blurs on an old cheap Tasco. Go back for that on Wednesday.
    I do not get to your area very often, but will keep this handy in case I do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
    Excellent info. Thank you kindly. Right now I am somewhat holding back until I see if the eye doctor folks can get my diagnosed astigmatism worked out. began getting multiple red eye dots and blurs on an old cheap Tasco. Go back for that on Wednesday.
    I do not get to your area very often, but will keep this handy in case I do.

Dear frjeff:

I have a couple smith and wesson model 41's with multiple barrels with various red dot sights and irons mounted. I use it as a tool to help newbies select the type of red dot that they want for bullseye. Sounds like this is just what you need right now.

Personally, I have had some serious eyeball surgeries and I use the Trijicon MRO which is a single lens reflex sight as opposed to a tube. I get multiple red dots with the tube but the single lens improves that for me. Be careful with the single lens reflex sights, there are not many of them that you can zero with the degree of precision you need. As far as I know, there are only three that work and I have one of each. (Trijicon, Bushnell, and C-More).

Regards,
    Crankster

Sincerely,
    George

I am a Forum User
    Warning: I do not shoot bullseye, and I do not have or ever owned a Ruger MK model.. After the disclaimer:
    From what I hear from people shooting 22 LRs in steel challenge matches during casual conversations is that MKIV model is much easier to work on it as compared to older models (including the MKIIs) due to the redesigned way of getting into the internals. As such, the MKIV are easier to upgrade and such for trigger groups and customization. All other aspects of feeding reliability are equally the same, and accuracy is comparable given you are comparing same barrels models on both models.

As I said, I have limited knowledge in that regard but wanted to chip in my two cents.

That's a Good Start getting into Bullseye.

NRA rule book link:

CMP Rule Book

These go into Registered Matches if you choose to go that way.

The local clubs will help you deside where you want to start.
    Most start off shooting with what they have, after a couple of matches you will know if thats for you.

One thing you will learn is the Basics.... Shooting outdoors at 50 and 25 yards. Indoors normally 50 feet.
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

MGO Member
    For Bullseye and red dots - a lot of people I know, including myself, use the Ultradot tube sights. However, as with everything, your mileage may vary.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast