Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

1956 Winchester Model 94 D&T

I took my 1956 Model 94 into a LGS to consign. I know the history as it’s been in my family since new. It had one of those Cub 2.5X scopes side mounted where new holes were drilled in the left side of the receiver. That scope wasn’t much to look through—it was worse at first light than no
    scope!—so I took it off and replaced the open sights with a William’s “glow sight” in the front block slot and a notched rear with some adjustment possible, just so my old eyes could use it. It shoots well and stock & metal are not perfect but pretty nice overall, no rust or gouges etc.

So it’s just a shooter but is it really only worth the $200 or so he thinks it will bring, due mostly to the receiver tapping? Just asking because it seemed a bit low. I have researched it but can’t find anything that makes much sense so asking here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stubee View Post
    I took my 1956 Model 94 into a LGS to consign. I know the history as it’s been in my family since new. It had one of those Cub 2.5X scopes side mounted where new holes were drilled in the left side of the receiver. That scope wasn’t much to look through—it was worse at first light than no
    scope!—so I took it off and replaced the open sights with a William’s “glow sight” in the front block slot and a notched rear with some adjustment possible, just so my old eyes could use it. It shoots well and stock & metal are not perfect but pretty nice overall, no rust or gouges etc.

So it’s just a shooter but is it really only worth the $200 or so he thinks it will bring, due mostly to the receiver tapping? Just asking because it seemed a bit low. I have researched it but can’t find anything that makes much sense so asking here. Thanks

Don’t know current prices on 94s but do know they have dropped noticeably in the last few years. As for drilling, my dad had Williams put a fool proof receiver sight on 1920s vintage 94 back in the mid 60’s. He was told at the time. He was cutting the value of the rifle in half.
    Alterations do affect price of collectibles
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    These are the only two pre-64 Winchester 94's that have sold for $500 or less on GB in the last 6 months. You will have to compare the condition of yours with these.
    Tapped holes are there forever, but sights are easily replaced. Depending on the brand of scope mount, it is possible that factory holes were used to mount it. Replace screws and back to factory configuration. I've done it a few times.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902602651

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904623124
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Thanks John. My rifle has better metal and wood than either of those, looks far less used. It does however have non-factory holes on the left side of the receiver. I actually see some scoped old 94s going for pretty good money but I believe they were the type of mount using the factory holes.

I guess it’s probably only gonna bring the lower $.

MGO Member
    Forget consignment. Put it in the MGO marketplace. Think it would go pretty quick at $300 or so.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

MGO Member
    Thanks John. My rifle has better metal and wood than either of those, looks far less used. It does however have non-factory holes on the left side of the receiver. I actually see some scoped old 94s going for pretty good money but I believe they were the type of mount using the factory holes.

I guess it’s probably only gonna bring the lower $.
    The drilling and tapping will reduce cost. Aftermarket sights will reduce costs as well (unless you kept the originals). Figure the $300-$400 range. It will sell for more on GunBroker, Lever guns tend to sell for less than market value on MGO over the past several years (Except JM marlins going for over market value). Package it with the scope mount and even crappy scope. Good luck

Is it 30-30 or something else?

MGO Member
    Assuming the scope is a Bear Cub, It could be made by a company called Kollmorgen, later purchased by Redfield. They are well thought of as vintage scopes.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

It’s a .30-30. All I know about the scope is that it’s marked “2 3/4X” with a SN under
    the turret and “Bear Cub, Made In USA” then “Rollmorgen Optical, Northampton, Mass” and “Pat. Pend.” on the eyepiece. The scope is in very good condition, still in the Weaver side mount I took off, original scope covers AFAIK. Not sure if I can find the original open sights or if it even had them when I got it.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll just get it back and put it back in my closet. I was just getting rid of guns I have to wade through while preparing for a move.

MGO Member
    It’s a .30-30. All I know about the scope is that it’s marked “2 3/4X” with a SN under
    the turret and “Bear Cub, Made In USA” then “Rollmorgen Optical, Northampton, Mass” and “Pat. Pend.” on the eyepiece. The scope is in very good condition, still in the Weaver side mount I took off, original scope covers AFAIK. Not sure if I can find the original open sights or if it even had them when I got it.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll just get it back and put it back in my closet. I was just getting rid of guns I have to wade through while preparing for a move.
    Definitely worth keeping. Forgot to ask caliber, my bad. Caliber can effect price 30-30, 32 being the two most common. Pistol calibers worth a lot more, 33WCF worth a lot less third most common (ammo hasn't been produced in a couple decades).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast