Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Ruger Mark IV Target Question

I want to purchase the subject handgun for potential Bullseye competition.

Debating between the Stainless version (40103) or the blued (40101). The stainless comes with a stainless grip frame whereas the blued comes with an aluminum.

Does this make an appreciable difference in how the gun performs and handles……….?

The blued model seems a bit more available and a few dollars less costly.

I am a Forum User
    Hi FrJeff:

There is no good way to answer this for you, you really need to try each gun out and see what works for you. Some people like a lighter gun while others prefer a heavier firearm. Furthermore, shooters will fuss with adding weights to the barrel, moving the red dot forward or back, to adjust the balance or how heavy the nose is.

Generally speaking, a heavier firearm will dampen the wobble and will increase your scores up to a point where fatigue takes over. Also, a more nose heavy firearm will recover quicker in timed and rapid fire. I have read that a 40 to 42 oz firearm is just about right for most shooters but you have to find the weight that works best for you and the only way to do that is with shooting various firearms.

In your case, if you are good sized fella that is not afraid to do some manual labor, I would get the heavier of the two firearms.

The good news is that once you get your competition bullseye gun, the more you practice with it the more it will become familiar to you and you will grow to like your firearm and your firearm only.

Hope this helps and shoot me a pm if you have more questions.

Regards,
    Crankster

Very good question, and answer!

The Mark IV is a great platform, which can readily be customized as you progress in the shooting sports.

I bought the Mark IV 22/45 Tactical, which includes a lower accessory rail that I've attached a MantisX to as a valuable training aid.

https://images.coreware.com/images/p...428-836567.jpg
    NRA Life Member + RSO
    OCSC Member (full)
    HGC Member (associate)

Quote Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
    I want to purchase the subject handgun for potential Bullseye competition.

Debating between the Stainless version (40103) or the blued (40101). The stainless comes with a stainless grip frame whereas the blued comes with an aluminum.

Does this make an appreciable difference in how the gun performs and handles……….?

The blued model seems a bit more available and a few dollars less costly.
    Hey Sir,

Not sure if it helps, but if you can make it to the Dearborn area one morning (during the week) or any time on a Saturday, you are welcome to take my blued MK IV to the range and run a few boxes through it. For me, mine balances well, just a tad nose heavy, but points naturally and the felt recoil is negligible... very easy to keep the sights aligned on target.
    I haven't played with the stainless version.

Given the weights, (blued @ 35.6 oz and stainless @ 42.8 oz), the 7 ounce delta will affect handling and recoil.... probably slightly less nose heavy for the stainless version. But, to buy one and shoot it, I don't think that weight difference will be an issue once you acclimate to whichever you buy. If you were switching from one to another it would be an issue.

Let us know what you end up getting!
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    I looked at both when they first came out and got the stainless steel version. I used the pistol for many years in both Bullseye and Steel Challenge. As RifleGuy suggested, the stainless steel version balanced much better for me. I was not fighting the muzzle when shooting bullseye and felt less recoil. If you intend to use exclusively for bullseye I would stay away from both the light and competition version. The light was too light causing a lot of muzzle sway. The competition is too heavy of a gun. your arm will get fatigued very quickly and the grips aren't comfortable unless they perfectly fit your hand.