Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Tips for bow hunting noob

I'm thinking about hunting on my property this year (1 acre), but to be courteous to the neighbors, I've decided to give bow hunting a try. I intend on using a crossbow if I can find one for a reasonable price. I had a junior compound bow as a child that I shot targets with, but outside of that I have no other experience. Is there anything you wish you knew before you started bow hunting? If so, can you share that with me?

Also, affordable crossbow recommendations are appreciated, along with appropriate accessories (bolt tips etc). I was in Cabela's the other day and walked through the crossbow section, and saw prices from $219 all the way up to and over $1,000. I'm not in the 1k club so the lower end fits my budget, but I'm worried that a $200 bow is junk?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

All the bow hunters are probably on vacation that's why no one is responding..
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    One acre isn't much to work with. That might work with consistency if you are baiting but last I heard that's outlawed. If you sit the same spot on one acre deer will figure that out and avoid you. We have decent public land in MI, just takes some work to get on them.

For a deal on a xbow check the classified forum on archerytalk.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledshirt View Post
    One acre isn't much to work with. That might work with consistency if you are baiting but last I heard that's outlawed. If you sit the same spot on one acre deer will figure that out and avoid you. We have decent public land in MI, just takes some work to get on them.

For a deal on a xbow check the classified forum on archerytalk.com
    If you sit the same spot on one acre deer will figure that out & ignore you because you pose no threat.
    Sit & watch them all year long.

MGO Board of Directors

One acre is pretty small of an area, not so much as hunting, but where the deer will go if shot. not very often does a deer drop in its tracks when shot. I have a 10 acre parcel I think at times is small for deer hunting, I have permission to track on all the land around me though. Kinda depends on where you are at and how your neighbors feel about hunting, One acre parcells and you could be several neighbors homes away.
    My brother lives on about a 1 acre parcel, he does not hunt. He told me last year someone near him shot a deer, he noticed them (didn't know who they were) in the wood behind him as he was leaving the house, came home later to a gut pile at the edge of his yard that his dogs found for him.
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Get permission to track deer from all your neighbors first and foremost. The go to Ben's Hunting Center in Marlette to get setup with equipment.

Don't know where you're located, but if it's close-ish to you, Schupbach's in Jackson will help you find and setup the right archery gear for you.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I ordered a Centerpoint Sniper 370 off of Amazon two years ago and it has been very accurate/rock solid. They're about 300 bucks. Highly recommend.